Friday, May 30, 2008

Farewell, Mr. Alligator

I still can't believe it. Yesterday morning Lisa and I successfully completed the entire triathlon distances. We swam the 1/2 mile, biked the 12 miles, and then ran (well, I huffed and puffed) the 3 miles to finish the course. We celebrated our 2 hour finish time by plunging into the alligator-free private lake to cool off.

Before we started, though, the friendly people renting the house by the lake informed us that they had, indeed, spotted a couple snakes in the water. Gasp. Lisa and I said a prayer for the snakes to leave us be and proceeded. What an amazing feeling of accomplishment. I felt great all day till about 4pm. It finally hit me. I collapsed into bed and fell asleep watching the Spurs game. Good thing. It would have been pretty depressing to actually watch us lose the game when we were ahead for so long. No championship this year.

At least I know now that I am capable of finishing the BIG race on June 8th. Wahoo!

I have mentioned how elated I was when this private lake had been offered to us for training. I was having severe anxiety about swimming in the Boerne City Lake with the legendary alligator. I thought it was really a myth. A tall tale. Something to talk about amongst the locals.

Then, this story was aired. (Scroll down to the Boerne City Lake Alligator story and click on "play video."). It was true. He really did exist. And, the intense fear I had for Mr. Alligator has turned into intense sadness and frustration towards those who felt it necessary to treat one of God's creatures in such a way.

The kids saw me watching the video this morning, and Priya asked if Mr. Alligator was in heaven. I said yes. She asked if Mr. Alligator was biting Kirby in heaven. I said no. I told her they were playing with each other. Deven added that Kirby was probably licking the alligator's face.

I smiled and agreed.

5 comments:

Shalet said...

That is indeed sad. I could see trapping and relocatling him but not what those people did.

Kudos to you for finishing the whole distance. 2 hours? Now I know what to aim for. :o)

sojourner said...

I thought of you last night when I heard the alligator story. Figured it would make you more at ease. I like the idea of Kirby licking the alligator's face - such is the promise of heaven!
I'm proud of your accomplishment (big head on your account is ok).

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!! I am so proud of you :o)

Dancing Queen said...

Yeah TEAM JENNIFER!! WOO WOO WOO...

Every time I "hear" you talking about the infamous alligator, I think of that song from Ms. Jan & Artsplay...

"Alligator...Alligator...can be your friend, can be your friend, can be your friend too...WOOOO!"
"The alligator is my friend....he likes to sing & dance..."

Does that ring a bell???

We are in mourning over here for the Spurs...sniff, sniff. Summer TV is going to stink! Reruns & no Spurs games!

The Queen's Castle said...

How very impressive! You are going to do great in the Sprint Tri.

I've tried to keep up with your blog from time to time since I was SUPPOSED to do a Sprint back in mid-Spring. I ended up freaking out about the swim and literally backed out that morning. My girlfriend completed it though (Woo-hoo)! (The Brown-eyed Fox had even flew in to cheer us on - Good thing she's such a good friend OR I would have felt like a total loser! Oh well, she'll have to come back for the next one .... one of these days!)

Blessings!