Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Saying Goodbye

Photo is from 9 years ago. Big brother Spridle uses baby Kirby as a headrest. It is my absolute favorite picture of the two of them. Ever.


This photo was taken only 2 weeks ago.


This afternoon, at 12:53pm, I held one of my precious beagles, Kirby, at the vet while the doctor administered a lethal dose of medicine that ended Kirby's life and tremendous suffering.

Kirby had been sick for almost a year, so we felt so blessed that God kept Kirby with us for this long following such a tough illness. Yesterday Animesh took Kirby to the doctor to stay the night...knowing already that the prognosis wouldn't be good. When the vet called this morning to deliver the bad news following some grim lab results, well, we knew what we had to do to put Kirby out of his misery.

As God had it planned already, my mom was watching the kids all day. Animesh had to stay home with some home improvement guys. And, I insisted on going alone to bid our sweet Kirby a "see ya later til the next life." I needed the closure.

Before the procedure, I spent a few minutes alone with Kirby as he struggled to breathe. I sobbed uncontrollably...soaking his soft, black fur...apologizing for swatting him when he would try and eat off the kids' little table...thanking him for being such a loving pet to our children...telling him that we hoped we hadn't done anything to prolong his treatment that had caused him to get so sick. Yes, my "mother guilt" even extends to our dogs.

The compassionate doctor entered the room, hugged me and let me cry a few minutes, and then told me to hold Kirby and soothe him while the drugs were given. As I watched Kirby draw his last breath, I lost control. It was unbearable. I think I cried for every loss I had ever experienced in my lifetime. Never in my life had I experienced something so tremendously painful.

As I drove home in a wild thunderstorm today, it got me thinking about saying goodbye. Since God created the world people have been saying goodbye to loved ones and pets due to death. Often times, we say goodbye to people in our lives as a mere parting of ways. Regardless, today's agonizing experience taught me that closure for all involved is so important in order for the healing process to begin. For those we lose to death, there are funerals and memorials where we can say, "I'll see you again someday in heaven." If life calls people in different directions, closure could mean a touch on the shoulder, a hug, or a kiss on the cheek while whispering, "I'm so grateful you were a part of my life...if only for a while. You touched me deeply." I'm a girl who needs her closure.

I need to believe that Kirby, while in complete misery, felt my presence and was somewhat comforted by having me hold him as he passed on from this life.

And, that's enough closure for me. But, it won't keep the tears from welling up in my eyes. That's gonna take some time.

Kirby-Derby, we will miss you more than you know.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kirby. Thank you for sharing your hurt and your healing. I'm thinking about you and your family. And Kirby, of course.

Mendy said...

My thought & prayers & tears are with you and all the Indians! I too believe you will meet again!
Mendy

MamaMia said...

Jennifer, I know how hard this is. We had to put my dog, Oso, down almost 3 years ago. He was 14 years old. I got him when I was 21. He had been with me all my adult life--longer than I'd known my husband. I was blessed that our vet came to the house so Oso could be at home.

Reading your post brought back all those feelings. I'm sorry for your loss.

Dancing Queen said...

Oh, Jennifer I don't know how you found the strength to even type! I am crying just thinking of you and what you went through. Our Beagle, Doc is 9 years old, and is such a special part of our family.

I'm so sorry for you guys and will be thinking of you as you remember and begin to heal.

Shalet said...

Kirby absolutely 100% knew you were there! I can say that with complete certainty. And, though so terribly hard on you, you gave him the greatest gift you could ever give by allowing him to go. Again, I say that with 100% certainty.

Closure is important for your children too. Make a memorial, send him off in style. Write him letters and send them to the sky on a balloon.

The pain lessens but it will never go away.
I lost my first dog at 10-years-old. Twenty-six years later I still cry when I think of him.

Gaaah, I'm tearing up now, for you, your family, my pup and loss. This is a tough, tough world. I wish I could be there in "real life" to give you a hug. A virtual hug will have to suffice. Kirby was lucky to have found you.

Anonymous said...

My heart is broken for you during this very sad time. Kirby was so lucky to have a wonderful family who loved him so. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs...

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

i'm so sorry to hear this! precious Kirby... he sounds like a treasured family member... also sounds like he knew he was deeply loved!

thanks for sharing your thoughts & emotions... very insightful... really touched my heart!

may yall have comfort knowing he is in a beautiful place living it up!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Jen...We were just there about a month ago w Puff..maybe Kirby and Puff are hanging out right now!! It gets better, I promise, just cherish your memories and it's good for the kids to understand about death, even though it's morbid, it's a fact of life, even though it hurts...My heart aches for you all!!

sojourner said...

Don't want to think about losing dogs. I have my Jessie's picture as a screen saver and it always makes me smile! Some people think dogs do not go to heaven because they don't have souls. I think that is crazy!!!???!!! How could heaven be heaven without our beloved pets. Kirby is running around with Jesus right now!

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry to hear about kirby. He was lucky to have you guys. It's so hard losing a pet...they're so much a part of the family. I hope you're feeling better very soon!
xo maile

fictionmama said...

Jen, I'm so sorry about Kirby. I'm sorry I haven't called or checked in. I'm glad you guys took the time to say goodbye to him properly. I'm sure that really helped.