Tuesday, November 18, 2008

13.1


**Click on any photo to make it bigger.**

Unlike the Danskin Triathlon, I'm in complete shock that I actually completed the half marathon. I'm not sure why...I guess because the thought of running 13.1 miles sounds absolutely insane. Yes, even more insane than swimming half a mile,
biking 14 miles, and running a 5K. Consecutively.

But, I did it. WE did it...Tonja and I. She truly motivated me and stuck by me...sore calf, overactive bladder, and all. She even stopped with me at the 3 mile mark so I could visit another Porta-Potty. Love her for that. The above picture is she and I at the starting line before we got up and "running."
Brrrrr. It was chilly.



I'm so glad that Dawn and I saw each other before the race got started.
I'm so proud of her. She's a humble one, that Dawn.
But I'm gonna brag on her a bit and tell you
that she actually WALKED the FULL MARATHON (26.2 MILES!)
a few years ago.
She rocks.




I'm not sure if this guy is an athlete or someone hired to entertain,
but he was at the starting line when Dawn
grabbed my camera and told me to go
stand with him for a photo op.

So...I did.



On your mark...
Get set...
GO!



I don't remember much about the race. Just bits and pieces...
here are some things that come to mind:

--shaking my head in disbelief when my car
thermostat read 27 degrees as I was picking
Tonja up at 5am

--peeing in the porta-potty at mile 3

--hearing one of the bands playing
"867-5309/Jenny" at mile 5

--listening to Aretha Franklin's "Respect"
on my Ipod at mile 7

--rockin' out to Joan Jett's
"I Love Rock-n-Roll at mile 9

--and pulling out my camera at mile 12.
Almost to the finish line.

Here's what I got as I ran.

Shadows of Tonja and I.








And, the home stretch cheering crowd with the
Alamodome in the background.




THE FINISH LINE!!!! WE DID IT!!!!!!




Tonja and I show off our medals.





I wore my "13.1" pendant for good luck
and my pink breast cancer bracelet
to inspire me to keep going.




It was especially exciting to share my accomplishment
with my blogging buddies who also ran the half marathon.
You girls ROCK!




Oh, yeah, the relief of not having to be
hauled away in one of these.




With the crowds and the freezing temps,
I felt better having la familia at home
while they cheered me on.
We went out to dinner that night to celebrate.

Priya called me a champion.




Oh, and that strained calf muscle I suffered a week ago?
It only reared its ugly head about mile 11 1/2...
I was able to push through it and run the whole way.
But, once I stopped, the soreness set in.

This is Mommy's idea of pain medicine.



So, who is gonna join me next year??????
Peace Love Run 13.1 Keepsake Box

12 comments:

Ashley said...

Congratulations again on finishing! What an accomplishment! I love all the photos! Wish I were in TX to run with you (or quite possibly behind you). Ha!

Dawn said...

You make it all look so easy!! I am impressed, running and photo taking...you really do it all!! Glad we got to experience one more thing together. Been meaning to ask you, do we have a spring GNO weekend on the horizon??

Heather said...

I was thinking the same thing...how on earth did you take a picture at the END of the race? Girl, you totally amaze me.

Since you're racking up the awards, I left you a little something on my blog today. You'll have to stop by and pick it up.

Oh, and congratulations once again.

Wow.

MamaMia said...

Love the story from beginning to end! Job well done! So glad you celebrated -you- with your family.

I'll be wearing that shirt that says "I know, I know...I said I'd never do this again" next year. ;)

Dancing Queen said...

i cannot believe you had the energy to shower, dress and put on makeup that evening!!! i had my jammies on by 4 and was in bed by 8...my knees were THROBBING!!! still LOVIN' the hair, girlfriend!!!

awesome pictures from the route...i'll have to get a small camera just for that:) 2 of my friends have already registered again for next year!!! i told them i'd wait a little longer...

yay you!!!

Anonymous said...

s

sojourner said...

if i add 1/4 mile a week to my current run between now and then i can do it! The question being - Am I as dedicated as you? I don't thank so.......I have a huge head on your behalf right now after seeing the pictures :0)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment! I can't believe you got up so early and then put makeup on! Can I ask what kind of mascara and lipstick you are wearing? You look so pretty! I have lurked for a while and love reading your blog! I to live in San Antonio and am married to an Indian(I'm American)...So I kinda feel a connection! Anways I admire anyone that can run! Take care.

Michelle

HiHoOhio said...

You totally rock my sister! Love you! Sent love on my blog to you today.....btw...change your "ID PHOTO" on your blog to this last BW photo, I love it!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

AMAZING... chills AGAIN!
what an inspiration you are... a "champion"... for sure!

i loved seeing all the pics... like being there... sorta :)! and even a "in the moment" shot... wow!

i am impressed that you only had to stop once to pee! :) how do you do that!

27 degrees... yikes... that will make your boobs hurt!

i am soooo happy for you... so thrilled... so motivated!

Haley said...

love the pics from start to finish! my fav is the shadow pic! awesome!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats. This is a great achievement. Enjoy the run.