Thursday, October 2, 2008

Think Pink!

This is me with my beautiful friend, Marta Zuniga-Harding. She and I met in the hospital...me-- a fresh-out-of-school nurse. Her--a fresh-out-of-school dietician. We bonded instantaneously. Her positive attitude and glowing smile were contagious. She brought happiness wherever she went. And, oh, how much fun she was to be with!

We celebrated singlehood together...me introducing her to my crazy nurse friends (because almost all nurses have some craziness in them, right Heather?). Marta introduced me to the world of Aggieland...taking me to multiple Aggie gatherings in San Antonio. Marta always left with at least 3 new friends in the process.

One week after I threw a bridal shower for Marta, her sister called me with the news. Marta had breast cancer. And, it was advanced. She would begin treatment immediately.

I couldn't wrap my brain around this. She was thin. She ate healthy. She exercised. She had absolutely none of the risk factors. It just wasn't fair. It didn't make any sense.

Marta and Steve were married just two weeks after her chemo treatments began. The emotional ceremony was made more so by the fact that Marta had to sit in a folding chair after she walked down the aisle due to severe nausea and exhaustion.

But, this smile never left her face. She had married the love of her life, and she wasn't going to let cancer take away any happiness that day...or in the days that followed.

Steve and Marta attended our wedding a few months later...Marta donning a becoming wig and grinning from ear to ear at the reception. She even danced the "Cotton-Eyed Joe" with us.

Unfortunately, the tumor she had detected was left untreated for too long. I found out later that she had felt the lump but had done nothing for several months. In spite of the drugs and mastectomy, the cancer ultimately spread to her lungs. She passed away 10 years ago this August after only one year of marriage and after completing her Physician's Assistant courses (and passing her P.A. boards!)---all while undergoing chemo and radiation.

Marta was only 30 years old.

I remember giving a message at the "celebration of her life." It was held a day before Animesh and I were to board a plane to go on our one-year belated honeymoon.

I'm so glad God intended for me to attend the service. And say good-bye.


So, during October--Breast Cancer Awareness Month--join me in celebrating those who have both won and lost the battle with breast cancer. May each of us consider what we can do to fight this deadly disease that will affect nearly 200,000 women this year alone. And, while heart disease is still the number one cause of death among women, I'm willing to guess that each of us has been touched by breast cancer...either personally or by someone we know.

So, help give out free mammograms by clicking on the pink button at the top of this blog. Purchase any of the pink items here. Join the Race for the Cure here in San Antonio on April 4, 2009. You can even join Marta's team, "Inspired by Marta." And, we can all pray for those struggling with this disease.

I will continue to do these things for as long as I'm able.

We miss you, Marta. You'll never be forgotten.

8 comments:

Danyele Easterhaus said...

you go girl! and i know marta was soooo blessed by you...you can see that in her smiles!

Heather said...

What a beautiful tribute to your friend...I love it.

What do you mean, nurses are crazy? Who, me? I don't know what you're talking about.

(Hope the sarcasm makes its way across blogger :)

Thanks for sharing, especially the photos. I'm sure Marta is smiling down on you and your family right now.

HiHoOhio said...

Lovely Jen! You are a dear friend to us all. I love my new MARTA, Pink in her honor and purchased on her day of heavenly entry!
Love you!

sojourner said...

What a wonderful friend you are! BTW I never would have recognized you in your earlier photos. I think you have changed alot! From the inside out :0)

THE Stephanie said...

What a great friend you are, and a blessing to so me...

Shanan Strange said...

Thank you for Marta's story. One out of 7 women will be affected by this in their lifetime. It is, indeed a very important message to get out.

cherish.photography said...

Such a beautiful friend you are, inside and out.

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

i can't see... the water is flowing... that was SO beautiful... thank you for sharing her story!
now... thinking pink & reaching out for the cause!
blessings!