Monday, November 3, 2008

Tools of the Trade

So. The San Antonio Rock-n-Roll Marathon/Half Marathon is less than two weeks away. Less. Than. Fourteen. Days. Away.

And, with the event sold out at 30,000 participants, it promises to be a small little event void of any adrenaline-pumping excitement.

Holy cow.

I've been doing mental gymnastics trying to psych myself out...trying to talk myself into the fact that my knees will NOT give out on me during the 13.1 mile run through scenic downtown San Antonio. Trying to talk myself into the fact that the marathon officials will NOT take away my Ipod since there are supposed to be live bands at every mile marker. Trying to talk myself into believing that I will NOT have to stop and pee every 1/2 mile out of sheer nervousness. Trying to talk myself out of the idea that I will be the last person to cross the finish line.

Ya see, when I trained for the triathlon...my first ever...back in June...there was no doubt in my mind that I was sufficiently trained. Back then, I felt strong. I felt confident. I felt EXCITED.

I do not feel that way now. Now, I feel scared. And, my knees hurt.

So, I'm relying on tangible things to motivate and encourage me. Things that are visible. Things I can proudly display on my body--I really love the running singlet above. The saying makes it seem as if 13.1 miles is really no. big. deal. Yeah, right!!

This lovely stamped necklace
(it says 13.1 on the front and RNR 2008 on the back)
was given to me by a thoughtful friend,
and I wear it for motivation every time
I hit the pavement.



I found this visor a few months ago,
and I wear it as a source of motivation whenever I run.



The good ole' knee brace is an absolute must
for this 1/2 marathon runner.
I actually need a brace on both knees,
but I refuse to wear two in stubborn protest.
I don't wanna look like a TOTAL dork!



Shot Bloks are my friend.
They have served me well
during the triathlons,
and they are serving me well now.



Lastly, there are no more important tools
for me than the
ancient Chinese secret
Tiger Balm and good ole' Motrin.
I definitely inherited my knees from my parents.


Every time I go out running at some point I think about the movie Forrest Gump...when someone shouts, "Run, Forrest, RUN!" Having just hung out with my high school peeps who still call me Jenny...it makes me chuckle every time. I think to myself, "Run, Jennay, RUN!"

Let's hope I'm still chuckling after 13.1 miles on November 16th. Come join the fun as a spectator if you're in the area.

And, if you've got a wheelchair handy, bring it. Think I might need one.

11 comments:

Heather said...

You have no idea how much admiration I have for you. You are simply amazing. Even if you don't know it. Which makes you even more amazing in my book.

You seriously rock.

And I am proud and honored to call you friend.

Best of luck to you in the race! (Maybe you could borrow some Depends to ease the bladder fears?)

Dawn said...

You can do this. you are prepared. you have run 10 miles twice and that is enough. with all your 13.1 mile bling you have everything you need. what a nice necklace from melody...i cant wait to see her pictures of you from saturday. love ya

THE Stephanie said...

You are one amazing lady! Run, girl, run!!!

HiHoOhio said...

and 13.1 phone calls to friends in Ohio to motivate you too!!!
Ring Ring

Anonymous said...

You won't need a wheelchair. You will be so high from the excitement that you fly.

MamaMia said...

Aw, man, I just spent 20 minutes writing a "you go girl" comment and now it is nowhere to be found. Here goes again...

Your "can do anything" and "enjoy the journey" attitude is so inspiring Jennifer! You are so positive and encouraging, it's contagious!! I love the commitment you have put forth for the triathlons and now, the half marathon. You will be great and I bet you will even surprise yourself with how well you do and feel after the race. Good luck! I will be looking for you among the 30,000!

Shanan Strange said...

You forgot the gigantic tube of Ben Gay you're gonna need.. ha ha.

Seriously, you will do GREAT and I am so proud of you. I wish this was going to be televised. Maybe you will be on the news.

Have a good week!!!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

you're gonna fly!
you were MADE for this!
soooo axcited for you... wish i were there cuz i would be yelling "run jennay run"... you go girl... channel Forrest!

Dancing Queen said...

i was laughing so hard at the run, jennay run, because my brother does the BEST impersonation of forrest gump saying that...

you TOTALLY got this, girlfriend! the shape that you are in is awe inspiring...all those weeks of training will help you to cruise through! no worries!! now, tell me how you're going to carry your cell & camera??? i don't know what to do about all those things...e-mail me your ideas!

LOVE THE SHIRT & NECKLACE!!!

Yvette said...

Good Luck Jenny! I know you can do it. Run for me because I don't think I will ever be as fit or motivated as you! You rock!
Love ya

The Queen's Castle said...

Even your blog friends you don't know are supporting you! You Can Do It!