Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Amazing Race

The words inscribed on the Danskin Triathlon medal say this:

"The woman who starts the race is not the same woman who finishes the race."

This couldn't be more true.

I cannot really put into words the entire experience, but I will try.

Saturday I drove to Austin, checked in with Jeanne at the Expo Center, racked our bikes, enjoyed the beautiful Oasis overlooking Lake Travis, loaded up on pasta, then headed back to Jeanne's for a (not so) restful night's sleep. I was just too nervous.

Animesh braved Saturday night in a hotel with the kids and managed to get them all to the race Sunday morning on time. I was amazed.

Sunday morning Jeanne and I arrived on time, but the mad dash rush to get our transition spots set up left us little time before the race started. We actually didn't have time to get nervous...before we knew it, we were body-marked and in the water. Thank goodness, because I had to relieve my bladder something awful! Oh, come on, you KNOW you've peed in a lake before!

To my complete surprise, the swim was awesome. There were lots of "angels" in the water offering a noodle for those in need of rest. I felt relaxed in the water except when I was occasionally kicked in the face and stomach; I think I could've swam a lot faster had it not been for all the PEOPLE in my way! :)

Jeanne was a sweetheart and waited for me after the swim; we biked the hilly course together. The cycling is my fave event, so, while the hills offered some challenges, I loved every minute of it.

Before I knew it I found myself on the running path...running nearly every single step of the way except for at the water stops (I don't drink and run very well...). Crossing the finish line was surreal and incredible. I heard my family yelling and cheering. Tears welled up in my eyes.

To say this was the most empowering, amazing display of GIRL POWER is an understatement. I feel so blessed to have been part of such a great event with nearly 2600 others...an event that celebrates the strength in all of us as women.

I cannot WAIT till the Danskin next year! Till then, enjoy the slide show!

13 comments:

HiHoOhio said...

AWESOME MY FRIEND....so very proud! great photos!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic feat. Great great job!!

Heather said...

I have been anxiously awaiting your blog update and pics...did Animesh take those? He did a great job...I can't believe you are still smiling at the end of that race! Good for you, I am so inspired. I have NEVER run in a race before, and now I've even got the "bug" to run. Thanks for sharing!

MamaMia said...

Beautiful...absolutely beautiful.

Count me in for next year sister!

cherish.photography said...

Wow, way to go super mommy, super woman, super person! An amazing accomplishment. Yahooo!

sojourner said...

My emotions - joy, pride, love - actually got a lump in my throat when I saw your slideshow - nothing more to say.......Except....maybe....."Don't worry if you feel a BIG head coming on It's okay as long as it doesn't remain for too long."

Anonymous said...

WOW! This stupendous achievement certainly merits my first blog comment EVER! And I read a lot of 'em. Really, so inspiring! And the slide show was awesome. Congratulations, thanks for sharing and thanks for being you. You ROCK! See you soon.

Dancing Queen said...

I have been anxiously waiting for your post!! I thought about you all weekend, wondering how you were feeling.

The picture of Priya w/the I LOVE YOU MOMMY poster, made me cry! So special to have them there w/you!!

WAY TO GO!!! So proud & happy for you!

THE Stephanie said...

OMG, you are my hero!!! That is fantastic!! Congrats!

Shalet said...

Spectacular photos! Congratulations!!! So when is your next triathlon? ;o)

Anonymous said...

What an accomplishment! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

cried all the way thru the slideshow. so awesome!

DD said...

How fun. IT is a TOTAL blast huh?! I'm proud of you for doing it. Consider yourself a trialthon addict from here on out.