Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lost

Our remaining beloved beagle, Spridle, escaped from the house last night.

It was bound to happen. We have finicky doors, and the kids had been running in and out all afternoon yesterday...celebrating the cooler temps by playing on the playground. We found the back door ajar. We couldn't have set it up any better for our precious dog who loves to wander.

By the time I realized he was gone, the darkness was settling upon our neighborhood...which doesn't have any street lamps. Animesh drove up and down almost every street around here...yelling Spridle's name and shaking the treat bag...to no avail.

Neither of us slept well. I was consumed with guilt...and wondering if Spridle was thirsty, sleepy, hungry, safe from the wildlife. Animesh was up late posting signs at the mailbox. We emailed our "lost pet" coordinator in the neighborhood--a necessary person given the hundreds of acres that compose our subdivision--so we hope and pray the word is out.

I hopped out of bed early this morning...praying that I would find Spridle curled up on our patio somewhere...begging to be fed. He loves to eat.

Eerily enough, it will be 6 months tomorrow that we said good-bye to our little Kirby. I'm not ready to say good-bye to Spridle, too. He is our first-born. We got him a month after we married when we first moved to Ohio. He's been such a gentle companion for our children. He tolerated Kirby with kindness.

Please come home, Spridle. Please.

11 comments:

Dawn said...

oh gosh, maybe he is just out "sowing his wild oats" and he'll come back today hungry and dirty....i will be praying for his safe return.

Becky said...

I understand greatly what you are going through. I Hope hope hope he'll turn up with some great adventure under his belt, and wonder what all the fuss is about..

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh. I'm so sad for you. Let me know if you want to form a hunt of some sort. I may just have to do it.

sojourner said...

I'm sad for you!

Father God please bring Spridle home to this sweet family!

Dancing Queen said...

oh, jen!
i pray, pray spridle will find out just how good he has it & hurry home! our beagle, doc does the same thing...if he gets out somehow, he's gone to follow a scent & actually runs from us as we're chasing him...

keep us posted!! thinking of you...

Ashley said...

Oh, no... I hope Spridle comes home soon.

Rachel said...

I found your blog on another blog and I am soooo doggie is missing; I am a dog love and just got a english bull dog after losing 1 dog from running away (long story) and our other dog was old we had to put her down...I will keep you in my prayers and hope you find Spridle today!!!

Heather said...

Oh, Jen, I am so sad to hear that. I hope Becky's right, and he'll turn up soon ready for a treat (and probably a bath), wondering why you're all so upset.

Keep us posted, and we'll keep you and your family in our prayers.

Yvette said...

I am so sorry to hear he is missing. I am sure he will be back soon! I know how important he his is to all of you. Doggies can keep themselves occupied for a long time, I am sure he just got confused and has turned up on someones doorstep already. I hope you find him soon.

Shalet said...

I hope you find him soon! Don't forget to call the Humane Society and any local Emergency Veterinary Hospitals!

Anonymous said...

I just left a message with a friend at SNIPSA to get a list of rescue groups in the Boerne area. I'll let you know. Kristin