Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gettin' My Groove Back

The first week of school has shaped up to be anti-climactic...well, at least for me. I kept Trevor out of school again yesterday, but after assessing that his cough/runny nose was due to allergies (hooray for over-the-counter Zyrtec!) I was bound and determined to accomplish some errands...and a workout at the gym I hadn't stepped foot in since May.

It was Trevor's first experience in the gym child care area without a sibling, but he plays fabulously by himself, so it was all good. I perused the possible gym classes I could take and opted for a good, ole-fashioned step class (ya know, like the ones in the 80's!). My only other option was a Total Conditioning class. Um, thanks, but no thanks. While I can call myself a triathlete twice over, I could easily keel over and die in one of those classes. Been there. Done that. NOT doing it again until I can finish an Olympic distance triathlon. And, even then, it's highly unlikely.

Step was fun...groovy remixes of some classic 80s and 90s tunes kept my energy level up. I love that the instructor could really get jiggy with it...surprisingly since this is the instructor whose yoga class I mistakenly took months ago. Her stretches after the step class inspired me to try yoga again...maybe. Yes, Cindy, my yoga-instructor-friend, I may just be addicted to "happy baby" pose the next time I see you in December! : )

The workout was energizing. Afterwards Trevor and I knocked out some "things to do." It was a good day.

Today I feel like I'm getting my groove back. All 3 little Indians are at school. Daddy took them, and he called me afterwards to say, "Trevor is killing me. He's crying and saying he wants me." I asked, "Where are you?" Animesh said he was hiding behind the building. I can just imagine the funny scene...Animesh looking like a secret spy...peering around the wall to catch a glimpse of his son. I told him to leave...listening to Trevor cry is just making him feel worse, and the school would call if Trevor became more hysterical.

No phone call so far.

I just returned from a run. The Rock-n-Roll 1/2 marathon is 2 months away. I cannot get past the 6-mile mark. I think I've already decided that I like triathlons way better than this running stuff. Excited for my next tri in a couple weeks. Let me swim! Let me bike! Let me run--very short distances!!!! But this endless pounding of the pavement is getting to be a little monotonous.

Hmm. I'm already registered and I've already worn my Rock-n-Roll t-shirt so I guess I'm not backing out now.

At least I've got this song to get me through this week's running miles. No way I cannot be inspired seeing how fab Madonna looks at 50. Maybe this week I'll bust a move in the grocery store like they do in the video. On second thought, if you spot me doing this, kindly ask me to stop. Please.

Any other great workout songs you can suggest? My Ipod needs a makeover.

Gotta run---I've only got 4 minutes to save the world, so I'd better start crackin'.

9 comments:

sojourner said...

If I spot you doing that in the grocery store I promise to join in!

Heather said...

I'm so glad to see you're "back in the game". Something about the kids getting back to school inspires us to get back into a routine of our own, don't you think?

And your blog is NOT boring, no matter what you think. I love to read about your Texas adventures with your three little ones...it's almost like we are living parallel lives.

And I love that you love Twilight, too.

Anonymous said...

I heard Word Up by Cameo today and it picked me up quite a bit. I tried CRT for the first time today. I don't think I really like step (there was one sequence that I couldn't get for the life of me) but I like that it's cardio and strength. I'll make myself go back.

Poor Trevor. V did the same thing.

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

i just need to "channel" YOU!
could i do that!

i posted a bit ago about
my BIG step! i know i'm a loser!

you are SO inspiring!
Lord... please let me have some of Jennifer's jo jo! :)

it is so hard to leave them when they are crying like that... so hard! good job daddy... i'll he's doing great!

fictionmama said...

Hey! First of all I have to respond to yesterday's post. First, tell your kids to stop growing. I can't take it. I'm four (possibly five) years away from kindergarten and I'm already hyperventilating over it.

Second, your hair looks GREAT!

Finally, want to take some bikram (hot) yoga classes with me when I'm in S.A. I just got back into my groove (5 pounds down, 10 more to go) over the past couple of weeks and I'm committed to going to bikram everyday until we leave for S.A. When I'm in town we can go to a couple of classes together!

Unknown said...

I was running this morning thinking the EXACT SAME THING! Gah...I was talked into a 1/2 marathon in Nov. and I'm feeling like the long distance running just isn't my thing any longer. But I love the training, the thrill and everything else about the tri!

I'm glad you're getting your groove back, I'm kinda counting down the days til I have a little free time, too!

MamaMia said...

Amen to short distances sister! You're talkin' to a sprinter...I can give 110% for a VERY short time. When I've run lately and hit two miles, I've reminded myself that if this were November 16th, I'd have 11 more miles to go...ug! Distance is such a mental thing for me--I have a better chance of not making it due to the thought that I can't vs. my ability.

We've had some shift in sibling combos this week too with Elle off to Kinder. Piper has said numerous times that she wishes she were in Kindergarten. I think she is saying that because she wants to be with Elle. Too funny.

Have a super weekend!

Dancing Queen said...

6 miles is quite a feat in my book! this girl has a LOOOONG way to go before she gets to rock'n roll come november!

love that 4 minutes song!

Heather said...

Hi, again. Just wanted to know I gave you a bloggy lovin' award today. Stop by and pick it up when you have a chance :)