Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Downward Facing Dog

I woke up today pretty psyched. First of all, Animesh took all 3 kids to school today. I had to stay home and wait for a repair man, who actually SHOWED UP ON TIME. Then, I I had plans to sweat my heart out at the new gym that opened last week. This was to be my first class...a kick boxing one at that...and I LOVE KICK BOXING! There's something about punching and kicking air while sweating to some heart-pounding music. My workouts need to be high intensity and high energy. No boring yoga for me.

I arrived (miraculously) a few minutes early to the spankin' new gym. I even managed to figure out how to get the key out of the locker after placing my stuff in it. Bottled water in hand, I took the stairs 2 at a time up to the workout area. My energy level was soaring by this point. I had already gotten 8 HOURS OF SLEEP last night, so I was ready. I was feelin' strong. I am woman...here me ROAR!

As I sat outside the classroom waiting for the previous class to end, I stretched. I did some deep breathing. I kept checking the clock. Why was the room so dark? Five minutes into what was supposed to be my glorious kick boxing class, I re-checked the schedule. To my complete dismay, I had misread the schedule--oh, what a surprise. Kick boxing was yesterday. YOGA was today.

My options ran through my head like a flash of lightning. I HATE YOGA! My friend, Angelia, and I had just agreed yesterday how much we dislike yoga. No boring yoga for us!!!!! Give us step! Give us kick boxing! Give us boot camp! BUT NO YOGA!

Already dressed and peering into the class like a peeping tom, I figured I better take some action. I took a deep breath and walked into the class. I quietly grabbed a mat and a spot in the back of the room, closed my eyes, and then began forming poses as the instructor demonstrated. Amazingly (and against my will), I found myself gettin' into this yoga thing. I started to ENJOY myself! For starters, there was none of that "OMMMM" chanting music that makes me want to lay down and take a snooze. The teacher had compiled a slower mix of BEATLES songs! How could I not enjoy Downward Facing Dog while listening to "All You Need Is Love?"

The instructor kept repeating over and over how we must "respect and honor our boundaries" while performing our moves...meaning that we must not do any poses that might cause injury or pain. I can't speak for everyone, but that can surely apply to ALL aspects of my life.

When the class was over, she said that if we didn't feel stronger, more relaxed, and more at peace than we did before the class, we should come see her so we could get to the root of any other problems or issues. Wow...a yoga instructor AND counseling all in the same hour. Oddly enough, I DID feel stronger, more relaxed, and more peaceful. Am I admitting that I actually like yoga? Angelia, I'm gonna get you into a yoga class--someway, somehow. :)

After a yummy salmon/pesto baquette on wheat in the gym's cafe (only 360 calories, thank you very much!), I sashayed my peaceful self over to the spa to make an appointment for a massage next week. Hot diggity dog...they were offering a 25% discount TODAY, and there was an opening at that exact moment. I blew off the oil change I was supposed to be getting, and minutes later I found myself drifting in and out of conscienceness, feeling my tension balls rubbed out by a fabulous young thing who has only been massaging since September.

As I drove in silence to pick up the kids at school (praying fervently that my engine wouldn't burn up due to lack of oil), I relished in the day and how wonderful it was to take care of me. I realized just how crucial it is for our well-being and the well-being of those we love. As women we tend to put ourselves on the back burner...especially if we've got kids demanding everything we have to give. But, when the tank is empty...what do we have to offer? Nada, zilch, zip, nothing.

So, feeling replenished and more at peace with myself, I do believe I will make "taking care of me" more of a priority. I owe it to myself and to those who know and love me.

We are women, hear us roar.

I bow to you. Namaste.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds dreamy. I love yoga...love pilates even more though. And massages, even more than that.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so jealous you got to work out before me!!! I caught the pukey bug that Scott had..yuck..OK, twist my arm, I'll try the yoga with you as long as we do cardio before, K? I'm so glad you like kickboxing..THAT and spinning are my fav..I'll be there as soon as my bug leaves....

Dawn said...

wow, sign me up for that day. Can you get a guest pass and then I can come to the gym with you over break? Are you doing the girls night out tonight? See you sunday...

Anonymous said...

i love this! i had the opposite experience once. i was all excited about hip hop class, and it turned out to be boot camp. They talked me into trying it, and I found out how weak i really am. And how i have no intention of becoming stronger either. Because I snuck out during the water break. When your elbows buckle after 2 push ups, DO NOT go to BOOT CAMP class. But I am going to sign up for Tai Chi next week. My friend has had amazing results with it. So we'll see.
thanks for making us remember to take care of ourselves. it's so important!! :) maile