Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday in the Park

Well, not really a park. OK. Not even close. The boys and I went to Priya's swim lesson early this morning (man, she's got a mean back stroke goin' on). She didn't swim in a park. Then, we hit the gym with the intent of me running on the treadmill. Seven. Long. Miles.

Guess what? I did it. I'm still in shock and disbelief. And, while I realize that I was running on a treadmill...in the air-conditioned building...with no hills...I will make myself celebrate the accomplishment as purely this: running (non-stop) for 7 miles.

I pondered life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness while on that freakin' treadmill (Lord knows I had plenty of time on my hands). Here are some things I realized while pounding the, uh, rubber.

1. If I listen to my Ipod long enough, I will hear songs that surprisingly inspire me. Saturday in the Park is one of them. Oh yeah, of course I found my mojo running to songs like this (cool guitar riffs...ya know I'm a wanna-be guitar rock star), but Chicago singing about Saturdays in the park really got me goin'. It's a feel-good-happy song. And the horn section rocks. Yes, I'm a former band geek.

2. The "runner's high" really does exist. I experienced it about mile 5...after my 3rd Shot Block...and it really carried me through the last 2 miles. Shot Blocks, by the way, are the way to go. Black Cherry. With caffeine.

3. I believe runners when they say their toe nails break and fall off. My toes are killing me...don't think I'll be investing in anymore pedicures till after November 16th.

4. People look at you as if you've lost your mind when they see you still on the treadmill. I had one personal trainer give me a questionable look as if to say, "Are you CRAZY?" I was only running at the gym because they were watching my kids. **Note to self...schedule next long run outside in the neighborhood. Where only deer and wild creatures will be staring at me.

I figure if I can run 7 miles I can attempt the wildly insane Bikram yoga Vanessa wants me to do with her when she's in town. Yeah, that's yoga in a heated room. No "sweat," right?

Tomorrow? Well, Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. And, that it will be. Might attempt the full 7 on Monday outside.

We'll see how my toes feel.

4 comments:

Heather said...

The furthest I've ever gone, inside or out, is 4 miles. So kudos to you. (And I am all about the free babysitting at our gym...love that!)

Umm, I hope your toenails don't really fall off. (YUCK)

Stay safe during the coming storms.

Dawn said...

here are the a few songs that helped me run 6 miles today...temperature -sean paul, she wants to move - NERD, blk horse and the cherry tree, sexy back, milkshake - kelis, stronger, kanye west, ms. new booty (i know, I know) - Bubba sparxxx, SOS - rihanna, butterfly -crazy town, the distance - cake, are you gonna be my girl - jet, one week - bare naked ladies.
Now I need a rockin' list from you - not including Chicago.
I did the bikram yoga - you will like it.

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

seven flipping miles... okay... why did i not think of you this morning when i thought my trainer was going to kill me!

you ROCK... you roll... you are a wonder woman! i'm serious!
you're really not training for a triathlon... your on the new series of wonder women... you're HER!

LOVE to you! keep it going! wow!

Shalet said...

Oh yah! Good for you. Take it from me - toenails suffer. And I, personally, think it is harder to run on a treadmill than outside. I get bored way to easy.

I did bikram for a while. It was good but I stopped when summer hit and it was so hot outside.

Keep it up!