Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Mantra



I'm not sure how it happened. When school ended, I vowed that the pace would slow down. I promised myself that I would spend endless summer days in my jammies--at least till the pool opened for the day. Then I would throw my suit on and lounge with the kids in the water till it was time to go home for dinner. I TOLD MYSELF that summertime would be different. That I wouldn't allow myself to be stressed or tired or fearful that my commitments would take over my life.

I have let myself down.

Because, now, in the middle of July, I am finding myself freaking out that there are not enough hours in the day to complete what I want to complete. That there are not enough hours in the night for me to acquire enough sleep to enable me to feel human.

Don't misunderstand. I am enjoying my kids and our time together. A LOT. We have had so much "cousin fun" in the last week with my sister and her kids in town...but that means we're not at home doing the things I need to do. Laundry, anyone? When Trevor comes to me asking if he can wear Priya's jammies because she has clean pajamas, well, I know there's a problem.

In the next couple weeks we have an anniversary party for my parents' 40th (at my house...of course), Vacation Bible School (yes, I'm a volunteer), a Walk to Emmaus I'm attending (I wouldn't miss it for the world but there is a LOT of prep involved), and then Sea World camp for all 3 of the little Indians (no small feat when you live about an hour away and it starts at 8:30am).

Not to mention my commitment to myself to train for this. And, this. OH, YEAH! And THIS!

Yes, I do it to myself. Yes, I have no one to blame but me. Sigh.

So, when it all gets too heavy...I just gotta live by my faithful mantra that keeps me centered (after those all important scriptures like Philippians 4:13). Yes, it's all good in the 'hood. Busyness is a blessing compared to other things people are facing in their lives.

Oh, yeah. And then there's Animesh citing the "It's all good" phrase that inspired me to make the sign purchase in the first place.

I also have the great t-shirt that was sent to me by the marvelous Maile to help me remember my mantra.

So, if in the next few weeks you see me out in public looking dazed and confused...just shout out, "Jen, it's all good!"

And, say a prayer that I snap out of it.

At least till school starts next month.

9 comments:

HiHoOhio said...

it is all good and I say it all the time, Campbell does too!!!!

Laura said...

Hey--to praise Him, we could also modify your mantra to say "He's all good", right? ;)

It's easy to get overwhelmed (and this is only summer!!) when there's so much going on. I'll say a prayer for ya even if I don't see ya on the street, all dazed and confused!

I'll be lifting you up daily.

Love you and see you soon!

DD said...

I met my husband while working a Walk to Emmaus. :) Keep the faith!

MamaMia said...

We suffer from the same "over-commitment" disease. I, too, use the "It's all good" phrase when things get a little hairy. Hang in there.

Shanan Strange said...

I know exactly what you are saying. I am already freaking out about school starting. I am worrying about back to school clothes, school supplies, doctor's appointments, hair cuts, etc. It is keeping me from really enjoying these last 5 weeks until school starts. I need to breathe, relax, and remember that we still have about 39 whole days left of summer.

Dancing Queen said...

yeah...i seriously should be getting some pta stuff ready so it's not left all at the end of summer, but i just can't bring myself to even OPEN the folder! we've really had a great summer, and still have our hyatt & port a trips coming up, but i'm just not ready to give my babies up!!

btw...be sure to mark your calendar for the back-to-school mommy brunch again!! we'll be crying over our middle boys for sure!

love the sign...you always find the cutest decor!

oh...and rock 'n roll...I'M IN!!!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there :o)Love the sign...I have the same style and it says "memories"...found it at a little boutique. It will all work out.....it always does, right?? I am still so inspired by how you balance it all. Hugs..

Teena in Toronto said...

It's amazing how fast July is going by!

Happy blogoversary!

Anonymous said...

You are addicted to running! Someone will be planning an intervention soon, don't be surprised. What about the school Fun Run?