Friday, July 11, 2008

Blog Post Flashback: I Wanna be a Rock Star

I used to be really hip and know all the latest rock bands, new artists, and top 40 songs. With one child I could get away with listening to "mommy's music" in the car. Two kids? Not so much, but I still stayed on top of the latest music trends. Three kids? You gotta be kiddin' me...for a long time it was The Wiggles and Sesame Street you'd hear coming from my car speakers. Now, it's The Cheetah Girls and the soundtracks from High School Musical and Camp Rock (with the Jonas Brothers). Well, at least these songs have a cool beat and decent lyrics.

For awhile all my friends were telling me how they work out so productively while listening to Christina Aguilera's "Fighter." I was too embarrassed to admit I'd never even heard the song.

So, a couple weeks ago I was toodling around town (in a kid-less car, mind you) with my cool XM radio on when I heard this song. The words are a little disturbing, but the video is hilarious (check out the little old lady) and, thank goodness, censored. And, it reminds me about my weekly guitar lessons. Yes, I still waste Richard's time every Wednesday evening (well, he's gettin' paid and I feed him beer--so I guess it's not a total waste). Actually, this past week I was kinda jammin'! Yes, for the first time I felt as if I was FINALLY (after 21 months) making some kind of progress.

I mean, who wouldn't get better after playing American Pie--perhaps the longest song in history?! My fingers were numb after Richard left...and I couldn't get that song out of my head the next day.

Don't you hate it when that happens? On the bright side...at least it wasn't a Wiggles song.

5 comments:

Dancing Queen said...

i love your way cool electric guitar...you'll have to flashback to that post too...that strap is awesome!!

i have to say, my kids know most of the top 20 songs since we live on xm...between the top 20 channel & radio disney...i just flip it if there's a part coming i know is not for young ears:)

come check out my summer favs & share some of yours!!

Anonymous said...

We listened to (dare I say it) Barney when the kids were younger! Still cracks me up that I grew to know all the songs and sang along with them! My oldest is 9 now though and wouldn't be caught dead listening to Barney ;)
We mostly just listen to the radio and the kids sing along with that when we're driving. They've come to accept that I am the boss of the radio hehehe ;)

cherish.photography said...

Wow! I have thought so many times to learn how to play my guitar (my 6 year old is in lessons), but convince myself out of the lessons because I think I am too old to learn to be a musician. You are givin' me some inspiration girl!

MamaMia said...

I LOVE that song. Obviously, I can't listen to it with children in the car. And when I do listen, it's a guilty pleasure...not exactly Christian modeling with those lyrics. ;)

When I was in high school, my best friend and I wanted so badly to be in a music video or at least a beer commercial. That's what that song reminds me of.

Anyway, you're still too cool with your guitar.

Heather said...

Jeez, the video alone is 8 minutes 32 seconds...my fingers would fall off after playing that long!

I only know the top Christian singers (TobyMac, Kutless, Barlow Girl), but when I hear my kids singing along to "Jesus songs" (as Gabe calls them), I just love it. I have to face the fact that I am just Not Cool anymore, and I guess that's okay...

CB was telling me about your scrapping room. You need to do a post about that, with some pics. I love to see other people's ideas...please?