Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Nurses Call all the Shots

My nursing career served me very well. I lived on my own, payed my own bills, developed a fierce sense of independence, met my husband in the hospital, and formed a (somewhat sick) bond with co-workers that only medical professionals understand.

I started out working day shift and then moved onto (in my opinion) the BEST time to work in the hospital...the night shift. I'm not even a night person, but it was such a refreshing change to not have our work routines interrupted by those demanding doctors (sorry, Animesh).

I was young...early to mid 20's, and we did some immature things during those rare lulls at work. Riding I.V. poles down the hallway, having dance contests in the break room, going out for margaritas after work at 7:30am (hey, Chachos was serving so we were gonna drink 'em! It WAS our happy hour, after all...).

Then, everyone I knew (my mom included) started buying me every kind of nurse t-shirt, earrings, home decor you can imagine. At the time it was...well...cute. But I had to draw the line about 3 years ago. Not so cute anymore.

When I stopped working 7 years ago just before Priya was born, I didn't really miss it--the mandatory overtime, the stress, the virtually non-existent lunch breaks--but this post from my blogging soul mate made me recall some of those fond nursing memories. Certainly not meant to offend anyone...but some of them are really funny.

By the way, Animesh is soooooo #19. He's not allowed to watch ER or Grey's Anatomy with me anymore. According to him, Hollywood has it all wrong when it comes to broken bones.

He's probably right.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always been a teensy bit envious of women who allowed themselves the opportunity to work and be independent. I LOVE being a mom...but sometimes I wonder if I'd been good at being on my own. I think it's great you used to be a nurse. Do you think you'll ever do it again when your babies are grown?

I have a friend who moved here from Texas a few months ago - she SWEARS by the food there - and margaritas?? You're going to have to give me some tips on just where to find these margaritas! I LOVE margaritas. Do you think I said margaritas enough for one day? ;)

Anonymous said...

I am totally cracking up :o) Yes, I could relate to most of those....even though I say would NEVER go back to the hospital, I do like to reminesce on the crazy things we used to do (and say) at times. Oh yeah....those doctors need to remember who 'trained' them when they were 1st yr med students and 1st year residents....(kidding Animesh). Seriously though, I would always call the residents by their 1st names (except in front of families) until I trusted my patients with them.....some would get so mad, but that had not earned Dr. ________ in my opinion. oh well :o)

Heather said...

You were so on my mind when I did that post yesterday! There are just some things only fellow nurses understand and relate to. How much fun would that be to drink margaritas and share "war stories"?

Thanks for the "blogging soulmate" comment. I feel the same way. You are too sweet.

MamaMia said...

Now that was hilarious! I'm sure I can't appreciate it fully since I'm not a nurse, but too funny.

Dancing Queen said...

love both yours & her post! nurses & teachers actually seem to have a lot of common...so great! i think i'm registering next week for one rock'n roll 1/2 marathon...you've got me thinking about it way too much not to at this point! hopefully i'll still be thanking you then too! :)

Heather said...

I had a great time meeting CB! She is awesome; we hit it off right away, had an awesome dinner with yummy drinks, and closed the place down! (Okay, they closed at 9pm, and turned the lights on at 9:35 to get us to leave...can you believe the nerve?). We are hoping to do a family get-together soon. I hear you may be in our neck of the woods next spring? It would be so great to meet you in person :) You were definitely there in spirit (too bad you can't taste the sangria swirl). I'm so happy to have met my first blogger friend.