Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day 2010


Every day is Earth Day. ~Author Unknown


I agree with this quote. Every single day we should act intentionally regarding Planet Earth. I will admit, however, that I'm grateful for the official holiday so that I may have another chance to re-establish my commitment and do my part to help preserve this amazingly gorgeous planet we inhabit.

How am I renewing my commitment to the earth? I'm starting small. By doing something most of you have jumped on board with already. But, what can I say? I'm a late-bloomer. I'm going to do my darndest to use all of these really cool reusable bags I love to collect/buy. Use as few plastic as possible. I need to be intentional about it. We've already pretty much eliminated use of store-bought water bottles...and we've got some cool reusable water bottles we use daily...but that plastic bag issue is something I've never gotten the hang of.

There. I've declared my commitment to blogworld. I'm a girl who needs to be held accountable, so if you see me out and about, be sure and ask how I'm doing with this.


We plan on beginning our Earth Day celebrations tonight at dinner when we will be surrounded by some of the planet's beautiful creatures. They will walk amongst us while we eat, and we will learn more about them and how we can protect the environment they live in. So excited!!!

This weekend our Earth Day celebration will continue as our family enjoys the serene, peaceful, and very lush property located here. Animesh is attending a conference there, so we're making a weekend out of it. We visited last year but didn't have time to take advantage of the nature surrounding the hotel. It should be a fun, relaxing long weekend.

Earth Day observations will spill over into next week's activities. I'm looking forward to accompanying the second-graders to Sea World on their annual field trip...to watch Priya observing her favorite animal, the dolphin, brings me pure joy.

Happy 40th anniversary to you, Earth Day.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I try so hard to remember my reusable bags when I go to the grocery. It doesn't always happen, but I do try. I saw a great idea for a grocery list that has "RECYCLABLE BAGS?" as the top item. Smart!

Have fun on your weekend! Sounds wonderful!

ps. What kind of water bottle do you use? I'm on the search for some good ones so we can stop the plastic water bottle usage ourselves...

Missy said...

Hi there,

First of all, I'll preface this comment by saying my note has nothing in particular to do with your most recent entry. I had wanted to email you, but couldn't find a way to contact you on your blog, so I thought this would have to do.

I just stumbled across your blog this morning and your quotation in your header really resonated with me as I've been trying to find the balance between being me and being a mother. Thank you for including it - your blog is lovely and I look forward to reading more.