Wednesday, August 19, 2009

You've Got a Friend

Please don't faint. Two posts in one week. I know...shocking. But today was too special not to post about it.

Priya got a new 'do yesterday. This is not the first time she's "bobbed" her hair right before school started, but it's the first time I've taken her to my fab stylist, Tonie. Priya loved the shampoo the most. And having her hair flat-ironed. I do believe our early morning hair routine just got a little more complicated. A simple brushing just won't do.






My friend Lisa and I met back in 1999 when she and I returned to nursing school to get our Bachelor of Science in Nursing. At the time she only had her 2 year old son. Animesh and I had no children at all.

Lisa and I hit it off right away. It was one of those "kindred spirit" experiences. When I had Priya, our first-born, she was there to share in the joy. What was even more special is that when Priya was born, Lisa was due to deliver her own daughter just a few months later.

Here are Priya and Brooke...illustrating that famous baby "parallel play" at not even a year old...



Lisa's daughter, Brooke, and Priya became friends because their mommies were friends. But, the interesting thing is that I believe they would be friends even if Lisa and I were NOT so close.

Today we had a wonderful "girls day out" in preparation of the first day of school Monday. Lunch, manis and pedis, and ice cream. Perfect. We had the most wonderful time. Especially since we were with the most wonderful of friends. The kind of friends we can pick up right where we left off...even if it's been a few months.

I don't ever remember being pampered like this at almost 8 years old....boy, how times have changed.








Lisa and I have been through a lot together in the 10 years we've been friends. And I feel so blessed to have her in my life for all that we'll experience together in the future.

There's a good chance that Priya and Brooke might develop that same kind of friendship, too. How awesome that would be.

"Many people will walk in and out of your life,
But only true friends will leave footprints in your heart."

--Eleanor Roosevelt

3 comments:

sojourner said...

perfect quote for the pedis! - i like Priya and Brooke's the best - more colorful

Shalet said...

Such a perfect Mommy/Daughter outing! My nine-year-old loves the same stuff. I don't think I got a "pedi" until after college! Ah times change. :o)

Denise Ali said...

It's good to see Lisa and Brooke. Did not recognize Brook at all! She is growing so big! Tell Lisa "Hello" for me.