Monday, August 17, 2009

We Are Family

Hi. Been awhile since I've been here...the last 3 weeks have been filled with time spent with family. Two weeks with my family here in town. One week with Animesh's family in Dallas. Family, family, family. And while family can certainly drive you up a wall at times---in my older, wiser years I'm realizing how just how important it is to make the time to spend with extended family. To bond, chill, and just be. Because it's really, really important for my children. Actually...it's important for all of us.

Time spent with my family was also time spent without my camera. We did have a professional family photo shoot, so when Melody is finished with our gallery I'll have more to share with you. My sister and I bonded more than we have before. Our kids (a.k.a. "The Cousins") had a phenomenal time laughing, playing, swimming, eating, and, yes, occasionally bickering. But, I wouldn't change a minute of it. It was awesome.

Last week we drove to Dallas to spend time with my inlaws. I drove the kids by myself...and Animesh joined us for the weekend so we could attend a family Indian wedding reception Saturday night. For the first time ever I truly enjoyed the visit. My in-laws and the kids entertained each other incessantly. I got lots of mommy time to visit my dear, dear friend, Amanda, in a nearby town and to get a manicure. My in-laws...who traditionally sleep till noon...even woke up early to feed the kids so I could go for my morning runs (another triathlon awaits me on Labor Day). It was a fun week. So much so that I don't think we'll wait another year before returning.

Pics from our Dallas adventure.....


The kids swim with "Dadu" (a.k.a. "crazy grandpa").
He really is so incredibly youthful at heart.
Even at nearly 70 years old.





My absolutely wonderful, dear, awesome friend, Amanda.
She lives near Dallas. And I miss her.
We had a great visit.
Here's our self-portrait
(because you know how much I love a self-portrait).





All dressed up with someplace to go.
The Indian princess...and her mommy, Honorary Indian.





Handsome boys.




Our beautiful girl. Love that smile.




Grandma and granddaughter.





So much fun with cousins....




...and more cousins.




School begins one week from today. I thought I was ready. But, now that it's almost here...I have mixed emotions. I will miss having the 3 little Indians around all day long. Sure, I undoubtedly will find things to keep me busy, but early wake-up calls, schedules, routines, and activities will take some getting used to after the laziness of summer.

But, what a heck of a summer it's been.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

sounds like you had a great way to end your summer. now, you have one week left with the kiddos. ENJOY. It seems like the kids are finally getting old enough where traveling and being with family is a little easier. the pics are great!

Heather said...

I love the pictures, and can't wait to see the family ones from Melody. You have such a beautiful family!

I'm feeling the same way about school, very mixed emotions. It will be nice to be in a routine...

HiHoOhio said...

great times had by all! you will enjoy the starts of school, I promise!

MamaMia said...

I love time spent with family.

I'm not ready for school to begin. I've been loving our not so structured days.

The pictures of your family and friend are great...you guys are beautiful.

Moon Mommy said...

Family, yes. Always great to visit, always nice to leave!
The picture of all the boys, oh I love that one.

sojourner said...

lovely pictures! Family is important - unfortunately some of us don't connect like we should (guilty here!) When school starts up we will have to have lunch :0) I miss you ;0(

Quirky Mess said...

So true. We've been spending time as a family this summer, and got to spend lots of time with extended family on our trip. It is wonderful for our kids and for us.

I need to get back to my poor neglected blog soon.

See you soon, my friend!!