Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ladies Night



**click to enlarge any picture**


Last week our monthly Girls Night Out (GNO) group ventured where we had never gone before.

Roller skating.

I hadn't been that excited about an outing in a long time. Turns out that none of us had lost our touch. I even managed a few turns around the rink backwards. Definitely a repeat GNO.

Melody and I made our own pom-poms for the occasion.



And then she posed with a dude who really got into the roller skating attire. When I asked him if I could take his picture, he skated off the rink and posed enthusiastically with Melody.

Good thing there wasn't a "couples" skate or Melody might have been in trouble.



Ahhh. The memories of roller rink in the 80s. Turns out the place probably hasn't changed very much. Still smells like feet. And the joint still has door-less bathrooms. Had to stick our roller skates out while we went to the bathroom so no one would catch a glimpse. I didn't drink a lot of water on purpose.




It's a terrible picture (not of us, of course, but due to the strobe lighting), but here are the roller-derby divas. The music got better as the night went on, but by that time we were losing our momentum and yawning incessantly. We're such party animals.


It was a successful evening since no one injured themselves. And, I don't know about the other girls, but I'm looking forward to another skating adventure soon.

Oh, what a night.

10 comments:

Quirky Mess said...

I am SO jealous. What a fun, fun night! And I love the pom poms!! You guys are so clever. I loved pom poms on skates, and I would have missed them. Wouldn't have even thought to make and bring my own. Now I will, whenever I do get out with some girlfriends and do a little roller disco!

Anonymous said...

Yea, he had better cleavage and better legs than me. I ended up with a bruise that is still blue. But it was worth it! So fun. You had it goin' on, lifting your legs and shakin' your hips.

patty said...

hello! loved your photos... looks like so much fun. you may already visit her blog, but my friend edie did a similar post in jan, called "hiiiiii stayin alive.... stayin alive", with fun skating photos. you might want to visit! www.lifeongrace.blogspot.com
enjoyed your post! :)

Staci said...

OMG!!! i just talked about what i wanted my 30th bday party to be like and this is it!! except for everyone has to dress like skate dude!! its gonna be totally late 70's early 80's!! now i can show jay how i want him to dress!! HAHAHA!!!

HiHoOhio said...

personally, I tihnk you may have lost your mind...skating right before the walk, what were you thinking???? Broken bones on a lay director, not a good plan!
Crazy Lady!

Anonymous said...

omg! this is awesome. and I love the music. i'm going to drive to SA next time. i still have some moves that i can whip out if they play "rapper's delight."

MamaMia said...

You are so totally cool! Did they play "Jungle Love"?

Yvette said...

oh so cute! I remember those skating days!!!
and the smell...

sojourner said...

i love skating and only learned to skate backwards when i took my little boys - what a fine looking batch of friends you have there :0)

Heather said...

I'm so relieved there were no broken bones! I haven't skated in years, since having kids. We do have a small rink here in town; you've inspired me to give it a try.

Hope the walk went well. Can't wait to hear about it. Sorry it didn't work out for me to come with Catherine this year...