Friday, February 27, 2009

The Boondocks

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

I moved to Texas when I was 13. Military brat that I was. So...having been here--for the most part--for 26 years...I consider Texas home.

We lived in San Antonio most of that time...but 5 years ago our family made the big move out to---gasp!--the country. Life hasn't been the same since.

It's taken me a long time to get used to living so far away from everything...but it didn't take me long at all to get used to sunrises like this one above. Spectacular.

Next week we'll celebrate 5 years of living in the "boondocks" (as I like to call it). Recalling the last five years made me somewhat nostalgic. We brought home our 3rd child to this house. I trained for races on the streets of this 'hood. We've made some wonderful friends here. We've become "one" with raccoons and deer and scorpions and centipedes. We potty-trained our boys in our front and back yard...which is so far away from anyone else that the public displays of nudity went unnoticed. And, yes. They still pee freely in our front and back yards.

All in all...it's been a great 5 years here in the boondocks.

Priya celebrated Texas this week at school...and Monday she donned some cowgirl duds in honor of this great state we live in.


Every day on the way home from school we've sung "Deep in the Heart of Texas" at the top of our lungs. I actually put some of those lyrics on our "Change of Address" cards when we moved here 5 years ago. On Monday I got to thinking about how...finally...after 5 years...I can honestly say that I really love where we live. I love the majestic surroundings God has placed around us. I love the view in our back yard. I love how I can see every single star in the sky on a clear night.

I love San Antonio and the upcoming Fiesta celebration. I love how I say "ya'll" so freely and naturally. I love how "quesadilla" is on almost every single children's menu in restaurants. I love my cowboy boots. I love country music. I love that today was 94 degrees. At the end of February. And, I love how it will only be in the 60s tomorrow. Yes, I have even grown to love the unpredictable South Texas weather.

It's true what they say...the stars at night really are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap)---deep in the heart of Texas.

5 comments:

sojourner said...

And I love you! Thanks for the wonderful lunch - it dawned on me that you stole the check and had the waitstaff put the stupid hair net on me and I was celebrating your birthday!

HiHoOhio said...

I am home sick now!

Anonymous said...

we moved to texas from a lush, green richmond, va, and as we pulled in... and i realized that the telephone poles grew taller than the trees and everything was khaki, i cried. my husband told me to "suck it up! we're stuck here for 3 years!" (also military). well, by the time we left, i was crying harder b/c i had so fallen in love with everything about texas. we took pictures in the blue bonnets, made friends with tarantulas, and sang "deep in the heart of texas" at the top of our lungs, too!
great picture!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

coming from a gal who was dragged out kicking & screaming... WAAAAHHHH! Texas is a truly unique & special place! it gets in your heart & doesn't let go!
like i often say... you can drag this gal out of TX... but i'm not taking off my BOOTS! :)

keeping my toes crossed we'll be back really soon!

you are building so many cherished memories in the "boondocks"!

Moon Mommy said...

Oh Jen, I needed to read this more than you know right now. THANK YOU. Now I gotta go take some Holy Basil 'cuz you got the tears flowin' (Hey, it ain't braggin' if it's true...)

xo