Friday, December 5, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

I'm a tad freaked out that the first week of December is over. In fact, I'm freaked out that the year is almost over. Time is whizzing by. At warp speed. No longer can I think about putting things off or putting things on the back burner. If I do...I may never get to it again.

And, as if I needed a reminder that the days are passing us by in a flash...there's the Advent calendar tradition that is always a hit. This year, however, I thought I'd be clever and put scavenger hunt clues inside the individual days--rather than trying to find 3 tiny treats that would fit. Yes, it's one more thing I have to do...find 3 small gifts...hide them where the clue says it will be...and remember to do it the night before so that when our children awaken at o'dark-thirty I won't be scrambling to get it done.

But, the kids love it. And, watching them gives me pure joy.



Last Saturday we had friends over for an afternoon/evening of visiting. This is a new band in the making. They sing. They dance. And, they play their own instruments. When they're famous and doing charitable work all over the world as a result of their fame...well, you can praise Dawn and I for their fabulous upbringing.


Later, Dawn's hubby Shaun grabbed the kids' attention and told a scary story. We heard screaming from Trevor's room...and after careful investigation we determined that nope, no one was hurt. They were just shrieks of pure delight.

Sunday Animesh and I were blessed enough to go Christmas shopping for the kids...without the kids. Thanks to our dear friends for entertaining the 3 little Indians with so much love and care.



Three little Indians sporting their advent calendar goodies.


This week we've also built gingerbread houses...using kits I bought last year at Costco but had forgotten about. The icing was a bit tricky to work with...it is a year old, mind you...but overall the kids loved it. And, I adore these homemade Christmas decorations gracing my counter top.


OK...so if your home hasn't got one of these...well...you should find one (word has it that Hallmark is busting at the seams with them...). This is the cutest new family tradition. Our elf, affectionately named "Fred," is the first thing the kids hunt for in the morning. And, the book that comes with it has been enjoyed almost nightly since he joined our family for the month. Again...so much fun to see the delight in the eyes of our children.

Last but certainly not least...it's been a fulfilling week for Mommy, as well. Quality time with friends, rehearsing for the church Christmas Cantata (come hear us on Sunday, December 14th at 11:10am...), and doing lots and lots and LOTS of planning for this. I'm honored and humbled to be leading it in March.

I'm also trying to make time for personal reflection...goals I would like to accomplish in 2009...ways I hope to better myself...ways I would like to better our world.

And, things I need to embrace about myself that I'm not too crazy about.

Because at the rate that life is whooshing by us...I don't think I have any time to waste.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're gonna have yourself a nice subdivision of gingerbread houses come this weekend!

HiHoOhio said...

I want an Elf for my Shelf! Wher do I get him?
You busy lady, take a deep breath and a big sip of wine and RELAX, and remember, "it's all good"!
love you!

Rachel www.jackandcoledesigns.com said...

I love the Elf!! I saw him on Angelica Grace Designs blog!

Do you really think Hallmark has them?! I'd love to get one!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

okay... seeing ALL those doors OPEN... yikes... it IS so flying by!
and THAT elf... i love him... we need him... must find him... i wonder if we even have a Hallmark... hmmmm!

btw... before i forget... IF you still want me to... i would be honored to make & donate those you "know whats" to you for the special event... time flew... just like you said it would. i just wish i could be a part of it!

xo happy friday!

Dawn said...

So, the music made me cry and it makes your post so sweet. But, I need to get more into traditions. I have the elf, and have not got it out yet or read the book this season and I have the same advent calender and have not hidden any treats in it - but I love the clue idea. You've inspired me to do more!!! I sure do wish we had some video of the kids singing....

sojourner said...

what sweet traditions you are making - wait until they have families of their own and they insist upon the same traditions - b.t.w. while looking at your blog, on the right of the screen is nothing but blank, white space - your posts begin underneath the the "Whimsical Design" credit - I don't know if its my computer or your blog

Heather said...

I love that Elf idea. I'm heading over to Hallmark tomorrow!

Great new header, too! Your babies are growing up so fast! And I really want an Advent calendar, too. Saw a couple at Target that I liked today...

I'm feeling the same way as you; time is flying by way too fast. We need to sit down with a bottle of wine and try to put the brakes on...whaddya say?

Shanan Strange said...

I wish we did the elf when my kids were smaller. It's such a wonderful tradition to have.

Gosh, I remember those Advent calendars.. my sister and I would fight over who got to open the doors each day. They're so much fun.

Dancing Queen said...

ok, add that to my list of things I need at Hallmark...that is really sweet! i've never heard of the "elf" before, and i LOVE children's books...go figure!

we'll be headin' out to your neck of the woods this weekend to have breakfast w/santa...ya'll don't happen to be going do you??

Heather said...

Aww, you're following me now? Thanks! I am loving your new photo...what's it called again? I know there's a name for it...

Anyway, when you become rich and famous on that guitar of yours, you know Catherine and I will be two of your biggest fans!

Staci said...

I love the elf!! We actually have one but a very OLD one, i think they are making the reproductions cause it looks very similar!!! Your kiddos are precious!!

Dancing Queen said...

i'm dying to know...did you guys have snow???

Dancing Queen said...

what a beautiful surprise in our mailbox today!! you look amazing, girlfriend!! and the rest of the family looks great too:)