Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Let It Snow


It doesn't happen often in this neck of the woods. I remember an all-out blizzard in 1985...my freshman year in high school...inches and inches and INCHES of snow. The entire city shut down. No work. No school. But lots of snowman-building. And, even a little sledding. Having just moved back from Germany...well, I was in heaven. I heart snow.

We didn't get inches last night here in the hill country...but enough "dusting" of the white stuff to delight the children and make me yearn for the snow-skiing I so dearly love.



This is the beautiful river I pass every single day in Boerne (sometimes 3 and 4 times a day). The snow flanking the river is gorgeous. The low level of the river is less than appealing. Definitely emphasizing the severe drought we are in. Ironic how the moisture we so desperately need visits us in the form of snow instead of rain.



That same river where we feed ducks regularly. The city decorates yearly. Love these lights celebrating the season.

Weather forcast calls for even colder temps tonight here in Boerne, but no moisture is expected. And, the high will be in the 60s. Sunday we'll be back up to 74.

Moral of the story? Flexibility in the wardrobe. Always dress in layers.

And, now, honestly, I have to go and breathe into a paper bag. Because as I type this, my 5 1/2-year-old son, Deven has come to me and asked how babies get into tummies.

I am totally not kidding.

OMG. I am so not ready for this. I thought I had a few years to think about my careful response.

Any help out there besides ignoring him and changing the subject??????

9 comments:

Heather said...

Girls have eggs, boys have seeds, and sometimes God helps the seeds turn the eggs into a baby. After you're in love, and married, and over 25. The end.

Good luck with that one!

Love the photos.

THE Stephanie said...

Yes, I remember the blizzard of '85. Well I remember hearing about it... I moved here in May of '85 - DANG IT!!!

Can't a girl get some snow???

Yvette said...

Oh, we are hoping for snow too! Although we are more likely to see it here it still didn't snow last year in our little town. About babies...short, sweet and factual is best. At thier age they only take in what they can deal with and forget the rest.

sojourner said...

Start with God puts them there and answer each question as it comes up adding the simple facts (Heather's suggestion sounds good). Be aware that the question coming at this time of year may be centered around the virgin birth which makes it even more interesting :0)

Ashley said...

When two people love each other and are married they sometimes are just blessed with this little miracle inside the mommy's tummy! Haha! I don't think I'm going to be good at this mom thing.... that may be a little lame. Good Luck!!! I'd definitely choose aversion!

Shalet said...

First off - snow! I'm jealous! Hopefully we'll get a bit of the white stuff this weekend.

Second - what did you say?!! I had "the talk" with my son when he was about nine or ten. I grew up with parents who were very open and straight forward. So I sucked it up and went with flat honesty - lots of boring technical anatomy. He seemed to take it in stride and then promptly informed his then five-year-old sister about the birds and bees. Woot! Not quite what I planned. Good luck to you!

HiHoOhio said...

SNOW, trying to be like us huh!!!!!Blizzard of 1985, I was getting married a few weeks later! OMG I am old and you are young!!!!!
Seeds and Eggs is a good one, with God planting...or avoid the subject totally is even better!!!!!!!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

oh girl... can not help in the baby area... i like hihiohio's thinking! :)

we passed by that spot... where those ducks are... across from all those cute shops... darn it... sooooo close!

snow... THERE... too fun!

Shanan Strange said...

There is nothing prettier than Boerne during the holidays. I have to say that the river has looked pretty pathetic for a few months. My kids are afraid the ducks will run out of water. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us.