Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dig a Little Deeper

I love this shot of Priya and I. It's a self-portrait...one of us at the Cheetah Girls concert Tuesday night. She really enjoys her "mommy time." And, oh, her mommy so loves her some "Priya time." We had a blast.

I was hesitant about getting the tickets when Animesh told me they were coming to town. First of all, I just knew it would be a crazy late night. And, like her mother, Priya needs her sleep.

Second, I just kept thinking she was way too young for a "concert." Priya was only turning 7! Which, in one way, seems terribly grown up. In another way, it seems terribly young.

I definitely was conflicted.

Ultimately, Animesh and I decided that the Cheetah Girls was the perfect "first-ever" concert for Priya to attend. Back in August, the third Cheetah Girls movie premiered on the Disney Channel. It's called "One World," and it was filmed in India of all places. Priya, our own little Indian, was all over this. She loved the movie, the Indian clothes (she owns many outfits similar to those in the film), and the music. She loves her Indian heritage, and she loves the Cheetah Girls.

And, all of their lyrics are so empowering and all about girl power...I knew eventually that we would give in.

Which, of course, we did.

The opening act was a group of boys called 535 who couldn't have been over the age of 11. Seriously. And, I guess Priya hadn't been exposed to any boys with long hair because she kept insisting that those were girls on stage. I giggled my way through their play list as these boys (whose voices hadn't even changed yet) rocked out to songs entitled "If You Want It, Come and Get it" and "This is How We Roll." Hilarious.



Next up was a trio of very young looking females called the "Clique Girlz." Pretty talented, but again I was finding it difficult to believe these tweens could relate to such heartbreaking angst as they crooned about losing the loves of their lives. More giggles from Mom.



After a 20 minute intermission (which was welcomed since we both had to go potty) the Cheetah Girls made their appearance. And, wow! They didn't disappoint. They are such talented, hard-working performers. And, oh yeah, Sabrina SO should have won the grand prize on Dancing With the Stars last season. That girl can MOVE!

Click on any image to enlarge.




Priya loved it when the Cheetah Girls sang
this song from these suspended swings.



Just when I was about to go complain to the 2 women who insisted on standing up in front of us about 10 rows up, the lights when out. Finally, we got a great view of the Girls as they sang for about 5 minutes on a stage in the middle of the audience...which was only a stone's throw away from our seats. I can't be sure, but I think Adrienne waved to us. :-)




Just when Priya had given up any hope of the Cheetah Girls wearing the Indian saris that they had worn in the "One World" film, they came on stage and peformed the finale wearing them. Priya was in heaven.


These girls have my stamp of approval. The whole premise of the "One World" movie was to celebrate each other's differences but realize we are all part of one world. The opening line to the theme song says it all:

"Love always finds a way...
every single time....
once we look to trust our heart...
and look inside..."

And, on a personal level, my fave song "Dig a Little Deeper" is motivating me as I prepare for the 1/2 marathon that is now only weeks away:

"Yeah, try a little harder;
Move a little faster
If you can't find the strength you're after.
Dig a little deeper, dig a little deeper..."

Should come in handy when I go for 10 miles Sunday morning.

9 comments:

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

oh... how great that turned out!
I bet Priya was beyong thrilled!
i could imagine feeling the same way... being seven thing... but it sure sounds like a fun thing for the two of you! And a good show at that!
Some of those songs from the younger ones... ARE so funny... about their "love" woes! sweet!

that IS a great pic of yall!

Heather said...

I still haven't taken Isabel to a concert yet. You have convinced me to give it a try, should the right group come to town.

Great pics.

Good luck at the race!

Dancing Queen said...

when I read about you two going to the concert, I thought immediately about how INCREDIBLE that was for her, especially after the One World movie and the Indian location/connection...what a truly, truly special gift for BOTH of you!

i love that song! now where've ya been girlfriend?? i talked about you & everything a few posts back...hope you didn't miss it:)

Anonymous said...

Too funny! You must have been sitting right by us as we were right by that stage out in the audience.....I could not agree with the post more....nice pics and I will BLOG soon about our cheetah experience :o)

HiHoOhio said...

That will be one of her fondest memories, I just know it. I saw John Denver (yes I am 45) with my mom, I think I was in 4th-5th grade....I still remember it like yesterday. The STARLAND VOCAL BAND opened, heard of them, I dare say...NOT!
So glad it was a positive thing for you both!!!

Dancing Queen said...

how did your 10 miles go this morning?? i am STILL not up to your level yet, but i was THRILLED when i did 6 straight miles yesterday for the first time!! getting very, very excited!

Jennifer Price said...

What a great time for you and your daughter! My best friend and I took our daughters (who happen to be best friends) to a Cheetah Girls concert in San Antonio about 2 years ago. We put the tickets in their stockings at Christmas and they were so excited. The funny thing was that my friend and I were just as excited to be out of the house and at a concert! We were dancing and enjoying the Cheetah Girls music and our girls (who were about 7 at the time) were horrified!!! They were rolling their eyes and telling us to sit down- too funny- but, they still talk about it. I am sure that your daughter will remember her special concert with you for a very long time! Fun, fun!

MGF said...

I have never heard of the Cheetah Girls. I have all boys at that are younger.
But it sure looks like she has a great time. It is awesome that it was just with her.

Ashley said...

What fun! So I don't think I've ever heard a Cheetah Girls song but I may have to look that last one up for my marathon training, too!