Thursday, July 3, 2008

Isn't it a bummer when...

...you head out for a run and your Ipod battery dies after the first song because you forgot to charge it?

Or, does that sort of thing not happen to you because you are organized and remember to do such things the night before?

OK. Maybe it's just me.

But, that is EXACTLY what happened this morning. I crawled out of bed, fighting every urge I had to snuggle deeper under the warm covers when that blasted alarm went off at 6:15am. I knew I had only a few minutes to decide whether to snooze or run. If I ran, I had to be back by 7am so Daddy could head out to work. Sleep or run? Sleep or run? SLEEP OR RUN?

My motivation to run had everything to do with the new songs I'd added to my workout playlist on the Ipod. I was ready to run and rock out. It was a gorgeously (is that a word? I make words up sometimes...) cool morning. It was gonna be a great workout. Feeling strong I began the climb up the street. My feet hit the pavement to the beat of the song, and then---nothing. Silence. Ugh.

But, I kept going. I think I ran faster because I wanted to get the 2 miles over with. And, oddly enough, the quiet morning run with nothing but me and a few deer on the road was actually a peaceful way to begin my day. With a house that is filled with incessant noise all day long, the quietness (another made-up word?) soothed me and prepared me for whatever may come today. It was nice.

All this to say that I'm now running to train for the San Antonio Rock-n-Roll half marathon in November. It's official. I'm registered. And, I'm freaked out. More freaked out than I was about the triathlon. Because this is nothing. but. running. At least with the triathlon there was some variety. Something to look forward to after each event. But, running? 13 miles? Yawn.

Hopefully, there will be some added excitement thanks to 70 rock bands that will be flanking the course...injecting some coolness and fun into the event...motivating me to run just one more mile towards the finish line.

We shall see. The training group I'm running with tells me I'll experience a "runner's high" after mile 5. I wouldn't know. I've never run more than 3. So, I'll believe it when I feel it.

Till then, there's more tri training to be done...I'm doing another local triathlon in August.

Which will most certainly be easier than the TOTAL CONDITIONING class I did yesterday at the gym that nearly killed me. You know it's bad when you have to ask your 6 year old daughter to get the milk out of the fridge because your arms are too sore to lift it.

No pain, no gain, right?

On a different, more painless note, I have a BLOGAVERSARY coming up! In a couple weeks I will have been blogging for one whole year! I've been going through my first few posts...and I thought I'd share some of my faves every day or so, ya know, since nobody read what I wrote back then. I've made some bloggy friends along the way, thank goodness. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have turned around. The peace would have been deafening. Greg on the other hand loves it out there. Oh, now if I could find a way to run with a tv!

Heather said...

Once again, you astound me. And inspire me. I don't know if I'll ever be a runner, but it sure is fun to read your stories about it :) And just so you know, when I discovered your blog, I sat up for two hours and read EVERY SINGLE POST about you and your adorable family. Yes, it's official, I am a blog stalker :) Hope you have a terrific fourth!

Unknown said...

Hooray! Good for you for keepin' at it! I just signed up for a 1/2 marathon in November, too!! We'll check in and keep each other going. I have done a few 1/2s before, and one full marathon - and believe me the half marathons are a really good distance! But it has been a very long time since I've run in races and I'm just trying to get over that 5K hump again. I admit I do kinda have to run with music, but every once in awhile silence is so wonderful!

Keep it Up!

Dancing Queen said...

i keep going back & forth about signing up for the rock 'n roll in november...i'm only up to running about 2 miles, and now when i have the time to go in the mornings, it is soooo darn hot & humid! so funny to hear your dilemma w/the alarm because i do it too girlfriend! but, even though wes did get me an ipod, i am a silent runner...just kinda like being one w/my thoughts & listening to everything around me! also paranoid i won't here a car coming & get hit :)

happy 4th! we're heading to the comfort parade & festival & are really excited!
look at your calendar for a pool date girl!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm envious of your dedication! I run too but have only done a 5K. I run several times a week up to 5 miles but it's that whole pressure to WIN thing LOL Way to go!! Hope your training goes well :)

Laura said...

Jen, you will rock! I am so in awe--what a wonderful inspiration you are to us all!

See you next Saturday--I'm off to finish up my aprons (eek!). Love ya!

Dawn said...

maybe you have inspired me too! Let's see. I know we can at least watch you do the damm 09. I am so proud of you - you are beautiful and strong on the inside too! Thanks for my beautiful necklace. The unexpected gifts are often the best.

HiHoOhio said...

November what????