Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ready or Not....

...here I come, Austin. Saturday morning I leave for my favorite Texas city to meet up with Jeanne at the Expo Center so we can rack our bikes, pick up our packets, get inspired at lectures, and go back to her house for plenty of rest after a carbo-load dinner at a great Italian restaurant.

I cannot believe the triathlon is only 3 days away.

This week has presented some challenges...I'm sick with a cold, all the kids have had a fever or hacking cough, and our nights have not been filled with restful sleep. Animesh, thank goodness, took the week off so that I could do my taper training. Can I just tell you how difficult it is to swim when you're stuffed up?

But, I cannot complain. I was sent this email from a friend...read this story:

A son asked his father, 'Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?' The father who, despite having a heart condition, says 'Yes'. They went on to complete the marathon together.
Father and son went on to join other marathons, the father always saying 'Yes' to his son's request of going through the race together.

One day, the son asked his father, 'Dad, let's
join the Ironman together.'
To which, his father said 'Yes'.
For those who don't know, Ironman is the toughest triathlon ever. The race encompasses three endurance events of a 2.4 mile (3.86 km) ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180.2 km) bike ride, and ending with a 26.2 mile (42.195 km) marathon along the coast of the Big Island .

Father and son went on to complete the race together.



YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE VIDEO. IT IS NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING.

So, this is it. I've done all I can do. I think I'm ready. NO, wait. I KNOW I am ready. I have heard over and over and over that the race is 10% physical ability and 90% mental ability.

And, how can I not be pumped up and feeling confident when I've received SO MANY emails and cards in the mail...filled with messages of encouragement and love?

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Since most of you won't be there...and if you've never done a triathlon...watch this great video Jeanne sent me. It's just a taste of what I've gotten myself into.

I have a feeling that if you ask me afterwards what it was like...I'll have to tell you that you just had to be there.

12 comments:

sojourner said...

I've seen the father/son video before (from the same special friend). I always cry - reminds me that Father God is always there pulling, pushing, and carrying us through life - if only we were as trusting and gleeful as the son!

Thoughts of luck and safety going your way!

Heather said...

I'll be thinking of you this weekend while I am at work...I can't even imagine how tired and awesome you are going to feel afterwards! Best of luck...are you going to have a big cheering section at the race? Please know we'll all be cheering you on from afar!

Shalet said...

You go Girl! What I don't know is how you train in this heat. Eeegads - hot and humid. I'm headed upstairs to ride the exercise bike in the cool hotel gym. NO WAY could I survive outside!

MamaMia said...

I am so excited for you! Wish I could be there too.

You are going to be awesome!! I absolutely cannot wait to hear all about the race in your next post.

I'll be praying that you feel better fast. God bless!

Anonymous said...

I'll be cheering you on from Houston! So awesome!

Dancing Queen said...

Two Bits...
Four Bits...
Six Bits a dollar...
All for Jennifer...
stand up and HOLLER!!!!!!!!

SO, SO PROUD OF YOU & to be your friend!

Good luck & Congratulations!

THE Stephanie said...

I am so impressed!!! Good luck!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

hold your arms and your head HIGH in the sky when you cross the fininsh line!

blessings...
way to go... you did it!

Anonymous said...

I do not remember how I came across your blog, but had to leave a comment. I am also a runner in San Antonio and wanted to wish you luck this weekend.
I have had the honor of watching Team Hoyt cross the finish line at the Boston Marathon and I cry each time I see them...what an amazing team! Thanks for sharing this.

DD said...

I hope your race went REALLY WELL. :)

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to hear how it went! You should be so proud! and have fun in Austin! it's one of my favorite cities too..

Julie said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I wrote you an email about a month ago and hadn't heard back from you. Sometimes my emails go to spam folders, so I just wanted to leave you a comment in case that happened. I've sent you my email again. Can't wait to hear from you!
*Leelou*