Friday, April 25, 2008

This Little Light of Mine

This morning I had another swim session with Coach Christy. She rocks. Such a motivator and encourager. She pushes me gently (yet firmly) till I get it right. We're basically starting from scratch. Back to the basics. Breaking all of my bad swimming habits might seem like a daunting task for some, but Christy has a true gift...she is so confident in her OWN skills and abilities that she unconsciously (or maybe consciously) makes ME feel confident. I love that.

This morning after our lesson she told me to "be proud of what I had accomplished." She told me to continuously praise my achievements and believe in myself. I was so moved by this. How many women do you know who naturally and easily put themselves down or dismiss any kind of achievement as luck? How many women do you know who cannot take a compliment gracefully? How many women do you know who "downplay" their looks, abilities, achievements, accomplishments, or gifts because they do not want to appear too sure of themselves?

I am every single one of these women given the day, hour, or minute. In February I began a very painful, slow sifting process...one that continues to this day...trying to find a healthy balance between obnoxious cockiness and graceful confidence. The balance is a delicate one and so very hard to achieve.

I've been drawn to photographing the sky lately...just can't get enough of the gorgeous silhouettes and bright sunlight peeking through billowy clouds. This powerful quote has been swirling inside my head for days now...most of you have probably seen it before, but I invite you to really, TRULY read it and adapt it as your own mantra.


"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our LIGHT, not our DARKNESS, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT TO BE? You are a child of God."



"Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel unsure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone."



"As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."



This morning (and every day I see her) Christy let her light shine...thereby allowing me to do the same. It's contagious. If someone allows themselves to shine...you can't help but want to shine, too.

So, today I'm going to try hard to love on myself. To be proud of what I accomplished in the pool, as a mother, as a friend. I can't promise that I won't be down on myself about something tomorrow. But, today. TODAY. I am going to love me for ME. Today I am going to let my little light shine just a little brighter.

Who knows? Maybe someday it will become a habit.

8 comments:

THE Stephanie said...

Wow. How truly inspirational. As children of God we are called to be a light... and it's hard to do that when we're shrinking in the dark. Thanks for speaking some truth into my day!

(Hope you don't mind me browsing your blog... it's wonderful!)

sojourner said...

Beautiful thoughts, beautiful pictures, from a beautiful light in my life :0)

Shanan Strange said...

What a wonderful blog! Sounds like Coach Christy should be a Life Coach instead of a Swim Coach. Your words were so true for all of us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and that amazing poem. Have a blessed weekend!!

Dancing Queen said...

All I can say is BEAUTIFUL!!

MamaMia said...

Boy, you hit the nail on the head...why is it that I think I'm not deserving of a compliment? My PT says to me all the time "Just say thank you and hush!" because I argue with him about his compliments.

You just keep loving on yourself and be proud.

The pictures are awesome.

Anonymous said...

I think it's absolutely cool that you are living your verse for Walk 100. You rock! You are a wonderful, beautiful child of God who should love on herself. God loves you--why the heck wouldn't you do the same? Do it TODAY, and then TOMORROW, and forever and ever, AMEN!

Love you!
Laura

Dawn said...

maybe you are drawn to the sky because you need to start looking up and forward and not get to caught up in the things that bring you down. glad you are swimming, let me know when you go to boerne lake - i cant wait to meet you there. did the bathing suit work?

Heather said...

Jennifer, those pictures are absolutely gorgeous. That big Texas sky truly is breathtaking. I loved your post; very uplifting. Thanks for sharing such personal feelings...it is a joy to read, and so good to hear others voice the thoughts that sometimes go through my own head. Love that. Take care, and good luck with the training.