Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Well, not really. Because I never made it there to begin with. After all the hustle and bustle...after all the stress and errand-running...after all of the preparations made for the 3 little Indians...I'm still at home. And, NOT in San Francisco.

I got as far as the gate...breathing a huge sigh of relief at having accomplished my get-away in an unusually organized fashion. I was on time. My kids were well cared for. I even remembered to bring a birthday card for the Indian for tomorrow. I settled into the chair at the gate, latte in one hand, scrap booking magazine in the other...and waited for my section to be called for boarding. NOW my vacation was beginning.

And, then, the news. Snow and sleet in Dallas. All flights canceled, and would we please be so kind as to collect our luggage from the conveyor belts as soon as possible ? Here's a 1-800 number to call to make other arrangements. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Um, WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

So, after having a mild meltdown at the gate (I am so completely exhausted), I collected myself long enough to dial the number. I (somewhat) patiently waited 30 minutes on hold, praying that my cell phone battery wouldn't die. Finally, I was set to go on the flight tomorrow...through L.A. At least my chances of spotting someone famous had now greatly increased.

I schlepped my way back to the car (it seemed like 100 miles with my luggage in tow) through sleet and freezing cold temps (have I mentioned it was 78 degrees yesterday?). My glasses (I was planning on sleeping on the plane and didn't want contacts sticking to my eyeballs) were covered in rain...therefore making it hard to find where I had parked exactly. I fell into the driver's seat after throwing my belongings in the trunk. Then, I closed the car door and SCREAMED! No lie. Not kidding.

After paying $6 for parking ("I'm sorry, mam, but we're not affiliated with the airport and it's not our fault your flight was cancelled..."), I took myself out to lunch to have a pity-party. Animesh called and we jointly decided it just wasn't worth it to come for such a short amount of time, especially with the time change this weekend AND the time difference in Cali. Thankfully, the miles used to buy my ticket were credited back to his account, and, just like that...I'm not going out of town this weekend.

Seriously bummed. But, after my lunch, mom called to say that she and dad would pick up kids from school and take them to swim lessons and dinner. Don't worry, she said. Take the rest of the day off.

Thank goodness for moms. And, for yummy lunches accompanied by chips and salsa.

This is my suitcase. It made it on the plane. I did not.


And, then, I went and did this since I'm going to miss that great spa day I had planned in San Fran tomorrow at the hotel. Boo hoo.

Afterwards, I decided to head home to unpack and unwind before my parents brought the 3 little Indians home. For me it had been quite a (disappointing) day. Mixed up a batch of this yummy stuff to enjoy while I wallowed in my self-pity (just kidding). Seriously, though, head to your nearest Williams-Sonoma to pick up a discounted bottle of this great mix. I'm not sure why it's discounted...does sangria mix expire and cause you to get deathly ill? If so--my dad and I are in some deep trouble.



Enjoy the weekend...no matter what unexpected surprises come your way.

9 comments:

Shalet said...

Oh man! Such a bummer!!!!! I'm glad to see you got a pedi out of it, and some sangria. Go do something else wonderful too!

Anonymous said...

Well, like your parents said at swim, they were already "blocked off" for the weekend. You should take advantage of that and relax. You need a break. So sorry.

Anonymous said...

crap! I wanted to slam down the lid on my laptop and pretend that you were in SF, enjoying a romantic weekend for the rest of us who are running soccer shuttles and sweeping the kitchen. ugh. Congrats on the car scream - very therapeutic.

may some unexpected great surprises come your way too!

Dawn said...

ugh! ugh! ugh! I know it is so hard to be depressed when you think of all the things that could have gone bad. But of all the okay things that could have gone bad - this is the worst. darn, darn, darn. i would be so disappointed too! Didnt you think about just pretending you were gone and making Animesh an accomplice in your plan? I know, the mother guilt wont allow that. That's the mother guilt towards our kids and towards our own mothers!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! Perhaps God has something else in mind; we just can't see evidence of what it might be now..

Love ya!
Laura

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

what a whirlwind! isn't it crazy how things work out sometimes... on their flipping head! i hope you screamed really loud!

i'm sure you are let down about not being able to go... how could you not be! it does stink! San Fran will have wait for another day... it will be even better next time!

Sangria Blanco sounds divine & your toes look fab! a bit of a different weekend now but a blessing in disguise!

sojourner said...

At least your suit case got on the plane. I wondered why I wasn't feeling joyful about beging in San Francisco! Sorry!

Mendy said...

Bummer! Your toes look relaxed and spring like! Enjoy your afternoon of silence, sorry for the unexpected!
Mendy

Anonymous said...

OMG Jen......you are such a trooper!! I am sorry your rendevous with the birthday boy got derailed, but those toes look beautiful and it sounds like you got at least SOME "me" time. Hugs!!!