Thursday, February 28, 2008

You're Off My List!

Aaah. Peace and quiet. No noise in the house except for the steady coughing coming from each of the little Indians' rooms. Yes, they've all got it--for the umpteenth time since November. I suspect I'll have it, too, before the weekend is over. But, I just can't stop lovin' on those babies--even when they're spewing their germ-infested sneeze-spray all over me.

So, I felt like blogging. Not really about anything in particular. Just found myself wanting to pound on the keyboard a little bit...since the other entertainment options weren't nearly as appealing (folding clothes, doing the dishes, making my training calendar for the triathlon). I'm sipping a delicious wine beverage that was sent to me for my birthday in the most delectable, chocolate-filled basket by my sweet friend, Catherine. I'm relishing the alone time...Animesh is out of town on business...and the computer and remote control are all mine.

A couple weekends ago I flew to Dallas for the day for my sister-in-law's baby shower. I'm going to be an aunt again in a few weeks. Can't wait. On the plane ride up and back that day I started and finished one of the wisest works on motherhood that I have ever read. The book was given to me by Vanessa for Christmas, and, judging by the title, I was certain it was just another hilarious take on what it means to be a mother. Yes, it was certainly that, but it was also filled with SO MUCH MORE! "The Three Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting" offers wickedly funny (yet remarkably refreshing) viewpoints on such topics as play dates, children's music (why?) and bedtimes, just to name a few. I regularly woke up my sleeping neighbor on the plane with my "I'm-trying-hard-to-stifle-them" chuckles.

Perhaps my fave "helpful hint" (and their are many sprinkled throughout the book) is how to help your child with school projects.

"Start saving your empty shoe boxes now. Empty shoe boxes fill a wide variety of project needs, from a smart "California Mission" to a clever Story-Time Diorama to a Valentine's Day mailbox. The best way to secure enough shoeboxes is to continue to buy dozens of pairs of shoes. (AMEN! says the honorary Indian). I know this may be difficult for some of you, but we all have to make sacrifices to ensure that our children are project-ready."

Heee-larious. But some of my own child-rearing tactics that I used to deem "old-fashioned" were re-affirmed as being ok after I read this book. It may not be right for someone else's family, but it's right for us. I highly recommend this fast and easy read--especially for a parent. Of any age.

And, a side note. Tonight Deven did something that wasn't naughty but that Trevor didn't like. 2 1/2 year old Trevor says to almost 5-year-old Deven, "I don't like you. You're off my list."

WHAT?! First of all, I hadn't heard any of the Indians say this before. Now, my 2 year old was declaring that his older brother was OFF HIS LIST? Holy cow. Priya was in speech therapy and NOT EVEN TALKING AT THIS AGE!!!!

One of the many benefits of being the youngest. Not only does Trevor inherit all of Deven's clothes, but he also gets to use Deven's own original comebacks. The tables are turned. And, I'm betting that this won't be the last time one of Deven's clever sayings returns to haunt him.

6 comments:

sojourner said...

Hold on tight Honorary Indian! The ride gets pretty FAST for the youngest when it comes to being wise beyond their years. This is only the beginning! Wait until the older ones learn "about" sex. Then there's the benchmark of dating and they take it upon themselves to share advice and tips about that important ritual. At that point you can forget about the shoeboxes - the important part of your body will be your knees - as I am sure you will spend lots of time praying their dating experience does not include what they have already shared about sex!!!!! Not to worry, however, because this will also be your MOST TREASURED time with them! All the time you have been spending now with the shoe boxes, hugs, and kisses will have paid off! You are doing a wonderful job raising those three little indians!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

kids DO say the darndest things! too funny!

i must check out that book... great tips for REAL parenting! too often they are totally unrealistic! the title is perfect!

have a super weekend!

Mendy said...

Survival baby! He is sharp! I will check out the book after I read my new book the strong willed child!!!!! Enjoy your weekend, hope everyone feels better!
Mendy

Anonymous said...

glad you decided to blog - it was a fun read - made me smile and put me in a better mood. I'm going to make my "off the list" list now.

Dawn said...

my 3 year old is saying the darndest things too! What are your plans for spring break. maybe we can plan a big play date with all the girls and a special GNO that week since will be burnt out on all that kid time. Do we have a date for our trip with Vanna?

Shalet said...

Ha! That's one smart little cookie there!

I still remember when my middle daughter was about two. We were in the car and she was fighting with her older brother. They were driving us batty. Daddy pulled the car over, turned around and screamed in his scariest daddy voice, "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW OR ELSE." My son, the sensitive one, cringed and his lip started to quiver. My daughter looked her dad straight in the eyes and said, "Blah, blah, blah."

We were so taken aback all we could do was turn around and laugh. That was the day we knew we were in trouble. I don't even want to think about teenagers!