Saturday, January 12, 2008

BLOW OUT!

I've finally learned my lesson. After 6 years of motherhood, I've learned that sometimes I actually AM a better mom when I've had a break from my precious offspring. Yes, it's taken me 6 years...I'm not necessarily a slow learner, because I've desired breaks from motherhood for a long time. It's the guilt. I feel sooooo guilty. Correction--I USED to feel guilty. Not anymore. I'm not sure if it's because my kids are older or because they love all 3 of our sitters or if they are just so secure in the fact that I love them beyond measure but sometimes I just need to get away...but the guilt is significantly less than it used to be.

So. Animesh has been out of town since Wednesday. Of course it would happen that three totally fun social events popped up after his trip was planned. In the past I would have politely declined each invitation and then sat home, becoming more resentful and being grumpy around my children. Nope. Not this time. THIS time I got me some babysitters. Yep, 3 different awesome, responsible girls (and even 2 on ONE day!). I am woman, hear me roar.

Thursday was our monthly neighborhood GNO (Girls Night Out). Delish meal at Cypress Grille in Boerne. Even better company and conversation. Nope, none of my pics turned out. Saturday morning was a rockin' photo shoot Maile set up for us Haute (Hot) Mamas. OMG. Amazingly fun to be pampered, made up, poofed, and posed into movie/rock stars. Totally ran out of the house without my camera. Visit Melody for a sneak peek.

I was headed home from the photo shoot Saturday afternoon when things got a little hairy.


These are pictures of my right front tire. Oh, yeah. HUGE blow out on IH-10...where 410 merges into it. Busy intersection? You might say...it was CRAZY. My location on raceway IH10 was such that the shoulder was about 8 feet wide. The other side of my truck was next to a cement wall. I was stuck. And, by the looks of my tire, I couldn't very well make it to the next exit...which was sooooo close....

My friend, Angelia, was following me, and she slowed to help, but I encouraged her to drive on so both of us wouldn't be stuck in that crazy scene. Angels were watching over me because just as I pulled to the side of the road, a motorcycle cop and a FIRE ENGINE pulled up behind me to see if I was okay. But once they learned I had already contacted Onstar, the cop only offered me some encouraging words before zooming off. "Stay in your vehicle and buckle up in case you get hit." Nice. At least the firefighter was kind enough to put some flares out behind my truck before taking off.

So, there I was...praying fast and furiously...glaring at the cars that were missing me by inches as they sped past...shaking my humongous mommy-mobile...while my life flashed before my eyes. Angelia (via frequent phone calls to check on me) kept insisting that I stop looking out my mirror and read a magazine instead. I tried, but I just couldn't focus on the Southern Living article showcasing the newest hot spots to it in the south. And, oh, how I tried. The "Pop-a-lock" guy showed up (before the estimated 40 minute wait time, thank goodness), and my spare was on in no time flat--no pun intended. Even the "Pop-a-lock" guy said, "Thank goodness the flat is nearest the wall. I'd be road kill if I had to change a tire near the road."

Anyway, I made it home 2 hours later than planned, but the sitter was fine with it (yes, she got a hefty tip), and I still had time to get ready to head out to another fun social event...which, thankfully, was a pajama party dinner. Exactly what I needed.

Moral of the story? Look at the bright side..in any scary, not-so-wonderful situation. I didn't hit anyone, no one hit me, it was a gorgeous sunny day, my angel on earth, Angelia, witnessed it all and kept a cellular watch over me, Mr. Pop-a-lock was fast and friendly, my babysitter didn't have anywhere to be, and the fiasco occurred AFTER the photo shoot so I didn't miss it. God was looking down on me for sure. As far as blow-outs are concerned, I'd say this one was a huge success. Wouldn't you agree?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! How did I miss that? I was behind you two. I wonder if I was even paying attention to the road. Eek.

Anonymous said...

Very hairy looking blow out! I'm glad you stayed safe.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! You scared the crap out of me, BUT I'm so glad you are ok, and you're right, it could of been a lot worse..at least you know your onstar works now too!!! Glad you're safe, we have lots to do in this new year together!!!