Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Things I've Learned From Hannah Montana

Last night was awful. I mean, horrible. I felt tired, grumpy, on edge. Animesh was working, so I had zilch for parental assistance. The kids were still recovering from our trip to Dallas...their sleep deprivation transformed them into three little OUT OF CONTROL Indians--and their mommy was in no shape to deal. I lost it. I mean, punishments were flying. And, 2 out of 3 went to bed crying. Without bedtime stories.

Then I went into my room and cried. Not even "Dancing With the Stars" could cheer me up.

Animesh called, and I cried some more. I felt overwhelmed and exhausted beyond comprehension. I felt like I had wounded my children's spirits and souls for life. I felt like a failure.

I have been wanting to post about my fave Hannah Montana song for awhile now because I love what it has to say to all those hysterical young fans out there. Priya (along with most other young girls) is a huge fan...so I've been introduced to her songs repeatedly. Hannah Montana just happened to be in town last night--which strangely coincided with my "worst-night-ever-as-a-mother."

In her song "Nobody's Perfect," Hannah Montana sings:

Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days
Everybody knows what I'm talkin' 'bout...everybody gets that way.


Strange that I would find solace in a teeny bopper tune...but I do. I also quoted it in my emotional apology to my daughter this morning...telling Priya how sorry I was and that even mommies make mistakes and have bad days.

Nobody's perfect, I gotta work it
Again and again till I get it right
Nobody's perfect, you live and you learn it
And if I mess it up sometimes...nobody's perfect.


Today is a new day, thank goodness. I feel much better. Ready to start fresh. Ready to learn from my mistakes and move on. But, I also know that there will be more "horrible days" to come. I just need to keep repeating Hannah's wise words over and over in my head.

Next time you feel like it's just one of those days...
When you can't seem to win...
If things don't turn out the way you plan,
FIGURE SOMETHING ELSE OUT!
Don't stay down! Try again! Yeah!


Wise words to live by. And, to teach my children. You rock, Hannah Montana. And, for what it's worth, my 50-something guitar teacher thinks you do, too.

3 comments:

Melody A. said...

And the fast paced season has just begun. I hope you get to take some time to slow down.

Anonymous said...

you are a cute (and 100%) normal mommy. i've had nights like that before too. you're not alone! And parenting is the hardest job on earth. We should pat ourselves on the back for all the times we DON'T freak out. Thanks for sharing and being so real.
:0)

Anonymous said...

you are a cute (and 100%) normal mommy. i've had nights like that before too. you're not alone! And parenting is the hardest job on earth. We should pat ourselves on the back for all the times we DON'T freak out. Thanks for sharing and being so real.
:0)