Sunday, November 11, 2007

Family Traditions

We don't visit Animesh's family enough. It's hard now...traveling with 3 kids. But, the pressure's on since his parents have moved into a bigger house in order to accommodate us.

So, this past weekend we ventured up to Dallas...flying the friendly skies instead of driving. The last few trips saw the usual 5 hour road trip turning into 8-9 hours thanks to our 3 gigantic blessings who possess 3 not-so-gigantic bladders. Subsequently, Southwest Airlines got some of our business this weekend.

While in Dallas I got a chance to sneak away to visit my high school friend of over 20 years. Vanessa and Dominic have the most gorgeous 3 month old twin boys, so I hung out with them Saturday and got my baby fix. Those boys are simply delish! Can you believe I forgot to take any pictures? Too busy holding, cuddling, and cooing those adorable babies.

My mother-in-law got rid of so much junk when they moved, but I love that she has kept so many of Animesh's childhood play things. I remember being so bummed a couple years ago when a friend of mine gave the kids a Weeble Wobble play house...because the Weebles aren't the same as they used to be. Now, THESE Weebles...well, they're the real thing, and the kids couldn't get enough of them.

Does anyone remember this COOL toy from the dark ages? I'm proud to say that I did, in fact, own one of these bad boys, and for once I'm so happy my mother-in-law keeps EVERYTHING so that my children can enjoy a toy that doesn't light up or require batteries.

So, the main reason for our Dallas visit was to celebrate Diwali...a "festival of lights" which commemorates the Indian New Year. Mom A. led a prayer ceremony on Friday night which commenced with us eating Indian sweets amidst the multitude of candles flickering on her bedroom floor. Sweets and candles...a wonderful combo if you ask me.

Saturday night was the big Diwali party...which means donning our dressy duds for the celebration.

My 3 little Indians in their 3 Indian outfits...precious.

Even after 10 years I can't figure out how to wrap the oodles of yards of silk around me...thankfully, my mother-in-law puts my saris on me cheerfully, even if she does tell me every single time (while smiling) that I'm "too tall."

Playing dress-up...it's always fun to be adorned with jewels and dressed in sparkly outfits.

Family portrait before the (large) family arrives for the party.

The highlight of any Dallas trip for the kids is a reunion with their cousins. Kids shed their Indian formal wear for some comfy jammies...perfect for playing chase up and down the stairs.


I am so happy that our children are being exposed to a part of culture...THEIR culture...something that makes up a part of who they are. While these aren't customs and traditions celebrated in our own home, I hope the kids will be more aware of their heritage and where they come from as a result of this exposure.

Back on an airplane again on Saturday...Mickey Mouse-here we come!

2 comments:

Melody A. said...

Wow! You guys look fantastic! The kids will look back on it and be thankful one day for such a unique experience.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous - all of you. I'm so jealous that you got to see the boys. I won't see them until December!!