Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Worry Wart



It was inevitable. I knew as soon as she climbed into the car this afternoon that it would happen. Priya fell asleep on the way home. I watched her eyelids become heavy...oh, so heavy...and then finally close. Exhaustion had overtaken her. When we got home I let her sleep while I unloaded the especially rambunctious boys, the groceries, and the school bags. I opened all the car doors for ventilation, and she snoozed hard in her booster seat, drooling and all, for a good 45 minutes. A friend of mine called, and while the boys ran in and out of the house, I sat in the glorious sunshine (and wind) while visiting with my friend and keeping an eye on my beautiful child. I didn't wake her, because I know how it is when you just can't keep your eyes open. I could have used a nap today, too, after the sleep I've been losing the last couple of days.

Monday we received a note from the school announcing the creation of a new kinder class. Today was the day we would be notified if our child would be moving to that new class. Tomorrow is the official "moving day." I have had a pit in my stomach since Monday...trying to rationalize with myself that if Priya were to be moved that it was meant to be, that all the teachers were as wonderful as her current teacher, that she would be able to learn in a better environment, yada, yada, yada.

It was hard enough to send my baby girl off to the big world of elementary school...hard enough to watch her grow up before my eyes and wonder if her teacher would love and embrace her like she should be loved and embraced. Her teacher did. So, why rock the boat? Why toy with this mother's sense of peace whenever her daughter passes through those school doors? Why? WHY?!

As it turned out, I never did receive that phone call today. Priya stays where she is. Instead of being relieved and moving on, I found something new to worry about. What if her 2 closest little buddies get moved to the new class tomorrow? Sigh. Does the worry ever end? As a parent, I guess not. And, provided that the worry doesn't make you attempt to control your children's lives, worry can be a positive thing. Yes, some days are better than others--less to worry about--but some degree of worry and concern is always there. The friend I spoke with this afternoon is currently worrying about her 2 middle school boys. What exactly is this fierce protection over our children that can send even the sanest, most rational parent into a tizzy so fast it makes our heads spin? I'll never know...but I wouldn't trade that feeling, or my children, for the world. So, I guess I'll settle in for the long haul...cuz it appears that this worryin' is here to stay.

No comments: