Friday, October 26, 2007

Sleepless in San Antonio

Well, actually we're sleepless in Boerne, but close enough. Trevor was up all night with a sick tummy. Three times he decided we needed to be reminded of the dinner we fed him last night at T.G.I. Fridays...and WE decided that we will never, EVER look at macaroni-n-cheese the same way again.

Before Daddy left for work I made my run at 6am to the closest Valero to stock up on some Gatorade (or "alligator" according to Trevor)--lemon-lime flavor, of course, so as not to have to deal with any red stains later. When Trevor started up with some pretty substantial diarrhea, I jumped into "nurse" mode...deciding that I would make Trevor adhere to a strict "BRAT" diet...which consists of Bananas, Rice, Applesauce & Toast. Trevor, naturally, had other plans.

Have you ever tried to make a 2-year-old adhere to ANYTHING? Or a 4-year-old? My 6-year-old has become quite reasonable over the last year and a half. But, she's a girl. These boys are a whole other ball of wax. Anyway, my explanations to Trevor about why he needed to have DRY toast for breakfast ("I want cream cheese!") were met with explosions of defiance and (ear-piercing) shrieks of "NO WAY!" I mean, how was I supposed to get him to stick to this BRAT diet when his brother was eating an appetizing breakfast of greasy pancake/sausage on a stick? So, I relented. Don't call CPS on me.


Trevor doesn't understand why I'm following him around with a towel and an old toy bin I hastily grabbed early this morning when he started doing the "I'm going to throw up" gag. He repeatedly declares, "I'm all better!" At least he's stopped vomiting.


Turns out that Trevor was on to something...after I looked up the link for the BRAT diet on the internet, the newest medical advice states that children are better off sticking to their normal diet when they have diarrhea. I'm sure this is just the first thing my children will prove me wrong about--with many more to come in the future. Does Mother really know best, anyway?

No comments: