Monday, October 22, 2007

Birthday Girl

Based on my last post, you know what a week I had had. I was downright weary...and ready for Friday since my in-laws were coming (they always entertain the kids so nicely) and Animesh was flying home from Boston. Priya's party was scheduled on Saturday at Pump It Up, so I didn't need to clean the house or do any other major preparations.

Or so I thought.

Friday afternoon I called Pump It Up to let them know how many pizzas to order. I learned that we were never put into the system, there was no record of me ever calling, and that the entire place was booked already. Come to find out, the computer "glitched" (as computers sometimes do), and in spite of the confirmation letter and credit card receipt that had been sent to us, 2 people had been given the same confirmation number. No way, no how was Priya's party happenin' at Pump It Up.

"Calm down, Jennifer," I kept repeating to myself. After the initial panic, I jumped into flexibility mode...a mode that mothers are all too familiar with...and decided to have the party at the house. Which meant I had exactly 14 hours to plan.

Meanwhile, after relaying this bad news to Priya, her response took me by surprise but then made me so proud. Yes, there was some pouting...for about a minute...but then she smiled and said, "We need to call everyone so they can come to our house! Can we get a pinata?!"

The problem was that my in-laws were still on the road, Animesh was in the air on an airplane flying home, and the boys were exhausted having not taken naps that day.

Enter Papa. Papa (my dad) saved the day and sped over to the house, bathed the kids, fed them, and put them to bed while I made a whirlwind trip to Walmart...purchasing items that would hopefully make for a fun 6th party.

And, fun it was. It was relaxing, we enjoyed the outdoors thanks to some beautiful weather, and almost all of our friends showed up to share in Priya's special day. In fact, now that it is all said and done, I'm so happy the party was at our house instead. Although I still want my free party Pump It Up has promised us.

Priya was happy as a clam at her big High School Musical bash.


Deven was feeling a little left out as Priya played with all her girlfriends during the party. After much begging on Deven's part, Priya relented and allowed Deven to blow out half of her candles. He was thrilled.


I think the party was a success thanks to the bouncy house we put up (which already we owned, thank goodness)...


...a hastily bought pinata (Dora would have to do as there were no High School Musical pinatas to be found)...


...and WAY too much pizza. I ordered almost double what we needed...some families went home with pizzas as party favors, but there's about 6 full pies in our freezer.


Each gift Priya received was so thoughtful and appreciated...


...like these hat boxes that Mimi (my mom) handcrafted for some stylin' storage. Aren't they adorable?!


We cannnot believe how quickly these last 6 years have flown by.


Priya, we hope your 6th birthday brought you as much joy as you bring into our lives. We love you to the moon and back...to infinite and beyond...forever and ever.

4 comments:

Melody A. said...

She really is so sweet. Glad we could celebrate with you guys.

Props to Mimi on those boxes! Hat boxes?

Anonymous said...

She's SO cute, Jenny. Not many kids would allow their siblings to blow out their birthday candles. Very sweet.

HiHoOhio said...

It looks like a very successful day in spite of the 14 hour panic leading up to it! You did great my "perfect mom friend"!! Love CB

Dawn said...

oh my gosh. How do you do? I know you "dig deep" and just go for it...but wow! Not only are you an amazing friend and mom, but now you are incredible under pressuer too! Priya is lucky to have you...and so are we! Dawn