Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Stop, Drop, & Roll

Yesterday Priya bounded into the car after school bubbling with excitement. "We're going on a field trip tomorrow, and we're riding the school bus!"

Gasp.

"What?" I asked Priya, my heart nearly pounding out of my chest.
"REMEMBER? We're going to the FIRE STATION! And, we get to ride a SCHOOL BUS!"

Egads. My worst fears have come true. Not only was I unaware of the field trip, I wasn't personally invited to GO. AND, my first-born was getting into a vehicle that I wasn't personally driving. I was devastated.

Alas, when I got home and plowed through Priya's backpack, I discovered a reminder about the field trip (not surprised that I had forgotten the initial announcement about it a few weeks back). In that reminder was an invitation for us to meet the class at the fire station. Whew. Tremendous sigh of relief.

I was extremely nervous about Priya riding the bus...I mean, I drive her every day to and from school for this reason...or because I'm a control freak...but she had such a wonderful time with her friends on the bus that she actually cried real tears when I told her I would be taking her home afterwards.

Here's the dreaded vehicle...how funny that you can't see the kids cuz they're so little. TOO CUTE!

Notice the "strut" Priya did after taking her first real school bus ride.

The assistant fire chief is multi-talented...he single-handedly orchestrated a cute "fire safety" puppet show. Bet that's in his job description..."must be able to entertain 60 kids while performing award-winning puppet show over hair-pulling, screaming and uncontrollable giggling."

Priya demonstrates fine form as she "stops, drops, & rolls."

Priya and her classmates got a chance to use a real water hose on a pretend "house on fire"...

...and then the parents and teacher got a chance to show 'em how it's done.

I found so many fun things to photograph...it must be the bright, cheery primary colors on a somewhat dreary afternoon.

Pretty yellow jackets...all in a row.

This little number here only costs a mere $385,000. Think we'll get us one. At least they are good for about 20 years...provided you don't drive it all over town all day long like I normally do. Talk about a gas guzzler.

Of course no visit to the Fire Station is complete without a cookie and some lemonade. Shortly after I took this picture some fire ants made their presence known and bit some children and even the teacher. Of course this is the last thing that happened on the great field trip, so it's the only thing Priya has been talking about.

4 comments:

Melody A. said...

Natalya said the field trip was, in her exact words, "Awesome!" She now wants to ride the bus to school. And I was sorry to have had to miss it since V is stuck here at home.

Honorary Indian said...

I'm so glad that Priya made no mention of riding the bus to school. I will, I think, freak out.

a said...

Your last statement about the fire ants being all she talked about reminded me of the time I took my 22 students to the McNay art museum (such a beautiful place!). We spent all day looking at great art including a Monet, a Picasso, and one of my favorites, Hopper. Then, as we walked outside to eat lunch, there was a random dog in a fountain. That's right, a sweet little lab cooling off on a hot Texas day...poof! All that great art was gone! There was a DOG in the FOUNTAIN!

Anonymous said...

Love the shot of you hold the fire hose, you look like a pro, I guess they know who to call for the Bergeim volunteer fire dept....????