Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Honesty Post



As she often does, Maile inspired me once again when she wrote her sanity post. After my day (week, month), I felt the need to be honest.

I've had a rough day or so. Okay...it's been a rough month. And, it's only half over.

Am I the only one out there who thinks that motherhood, while the most rewarding things I've done, can be the most DIFFICULT?!

As if he isn't busy enough at work, October is a busy travel month for Animesh--he left town again after having traveled the first week of the month. And lately, I've been feeling particularly exhausted and worn out. My mind is on overload. Can anyone relate? You don't have to be a mother of 3 like me or a stay-at-home mom--although I don't think many of us actually stay at home anymore. We pile so much on ourselves...sometimes because we want to and sometimes because we have to...and I can't seem to shut my mind off at the end of the day. Did I wash the clothes that are needed for school? Do the kids have clean underwear? Did I make lunches? Did we choose a show-n-tell to bring? Did I make the flu shot appointment? Do I need to call in more medicines for the dogs? Did I write the tuition check? Did I put the yellow shirt on Trevor for "yellow day?" Did I remember to put my bra on (very important...)? I used to be a big breakfast eater, and now feeding myself in the morning is the last thing I remember, if I remember at all. Nope, it's not about me anymore.

I had lunch with a wonderful friend today, and she and I were talking about how we sometimes are mistaken for "having it all together" or "never losing our temper" or "being the perfect mom." It's a lot of pressure to live up to those expectations...and, frankly, I don't think there are many of us out there who actually CAN. I certainly don't in the privacy of my own home. I guess it's not common for moms to talk about what it REALLY MEANS to be a mother. It can be hard. Really hard. But, sharing with other moms can be so refreshing. And, less lonely.

I have mentioned how thrilled I was when I got my XM radio renewed a couple months ago...and, admittedly, I have become an avid fan of Oprah and Friends on XM 156. Specifically, I love Oprah's BFF, Gayle King. She's a hoot. She's real, she's honest (a bit too honest, but I can totally relate to that), and she seems like one of those chicks you could sit and gab with for hours about anything--or nothing.

Today Gayle's guest was one of the most hilarious comediennes I have ever heard. And, surprisingly enough, she's a pastor's wife and a Christian. But, Anita Renfroe is also real and speaks from the heart (or her funny bone) about being a mom. I first heard her William Tell Mom on YouTube this past summer when someone forwarded it to me...and it has since become a world-wide sensation. I have seen it at least a dozen times, and I'm usually crying from laughing so hard by the time the song is over. I heard every single one of those lines from her song when I was growing up. And, 6 years into motherhood, I can safely admit that I have uttered (or screamed) at least half of those lines. Especially the "because I said so"---which prompted me to buy the sign to put in my kitchen.

Anyway, check Anita out when you need a "mom-pick-me-up"...I certainly needed one today when I was feeling like a broken record that was about to explode.

And, if anyone wants to join me at the Women of Faith conference Feb. 7-9, 2008, we can enjoy Anita in person. She'll be here in San Antonio! Whoo hoo!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I can relate. I was just telling Shaun (about Jackson) how can you love someone so desperately yet at the same time want nothing to do with them? Mother exhaustion is the worst. I wake up tired, I work tired, I am just tired. I keep thinking that maybe if I work out I will feel better, but that just seems too daunting to add that to the list. No one said this was easy - but no one said it would be so hard either.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine having three. I'm taking care of Isabel, writing my dissertation, teaching, and I'm always on the brink of losing it. My biggest problems are 1) feeling like I need to be perfect at everything and 2) feeling guilty and beating myself up if I'm not. Isa just started eating baby food so of course I bought a mini-food-processor, went to the Farmer's Market to get veggies in season, and stayed up until midnight on Sunday steaming vegetables and freezing enough food for the week. Why I feel like organic baby food from Whole Foods would not be good enough for my girl, I don't know. But it sure was rewarding watching her smile her way through the butternut squash I made...

Anonymous said...

Motherhood is hard, we as women have these reputations to live up to, somedays you just want to throw up your arms and forget it...why can't we be the type of women that don't throw bday parties, clean the house, cook, or look nice....I think sometimes THAT life would be much more relaxing!!

Melody A. said...

But we do want those bday parties, and we want to look nice. We just have to know when to draw the line.

We ALL go through it, Jen. Even though I only have two and Greg is home quite a bit, there are days when I think I just want to get in the car and drive to a hotel. So I'll let you know when I do, we can split a room. We'll get a nice on though. And room service.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the link. this is such a good post. I love it when moms are honest about how hard it can be to parent. Makes us all feel a little more normal. It is the most rewarding and difficult thing we'll ever do. Harder than work, or school, and the most important too. Totally awesome post. i can relate 100%.
thank you.