Saturday, August 25, 2007

I Hope You Dance


Dearest Priya,

So inspired by the invitation to write about being the mom to such a phenomenal little girl, I decided to accept. Please know that the tears are beginning to fall as I type--but also know that they are tears of pure joy.

It's going by way too fast. This thing called "time." You and your brothers are growing at way too rapid a pace. Interestingly, though, those very milestones that make me misty-eyed are those that fascinate me. On any given day the three of you do or say something that amazes me. I marvel at your creativity, imagination, reasoning, tenacity, and the incredible bond you share. I marvel at it not because you are not capable of such a vast array of emotions and insights but because you have developed these characteristics under my watch and care. Now I do not take full responsibility...I mean, it's highly unlikely that your imagination has anything to do with the food I feed you or the clothes I buy you. But, the love you have for one another? I certainly hope that this is due to my fierce (and I mean that in a loving way) fostering of care and respect for everyone in your family and others in this big, beautiful world.

I loved meeting your Kindergarten teacher with you last night--watching you explore your new classroom with wide-eyed anticipation and wonder. Our Girls Night Out was extra-special, too, since we rarely get this time for just the two of us. There were so many little moments that made my heart swell with pride and made those over-active tear ducts of mine do their thing. Here's a few:

*As I was doing your hair before we left, you looked up at me lovingly and said, "It was so much fun being the first one in your belly, Mommy."

*How you exclaimed on the way to the school, "Mommy, Kindergarten is going to be awesome!"

*While sharing a pizza, you smiled at me and said, "Mommy, you can have the last piece if you want."

*The countless "I love you's" and "Thanks, Mommy's" I received throughout the evening.

These memories stand out in my mind...but there were so many other little moments from the evening that I will keep tucked in my heart forever. I know that you need individual time with Mommy, but, sweetheart, you will never know how much I needed this time with you before you begin this exciting adventure that is elementary school.

Priya, we thank God for blessing our family's life with you. As the beautiful song says, may you never take one single breath for granted. God forbid love ever leave you empty handed. I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean. Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens. Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance. And, if you get the choice to sit out or dance...I hope you dance.

I love you to the moon and back again, forever and ever,
Mommy

9 comments:

Melody A. said...

As beautiful as I expected.

Anonymous said...

This is very touching, I have tears in my eyes. I brought my middle child to school for the first time last week, and I didn't realize how much I'd miss her.

Kathy in WA said...

How precious! So glad you shared something for the carnival. Great job.

My youngest is just five. How does the time go by so quickly?

Duckabush Blog

TaunaLen said...

Just beautiful, and you're right -- the days and moments pass too quickly. Enjoy them now and don't miss out. They become treasures more precious as time passes.

~TaunaLen

Anonymous said...

Such lovely thoughts for your sweet little girl! Thank you for sharing your heart - so very beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Jen....what a special thing to share. I cannot believe the time. Where does it go?

Julie Arduini said...

The passing of time was represented so beautifully by your lovely post. The last paragraph just grabbed my heart and did not let go. I loved this!

Julie
http://thesurrenderedscribe.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

What a perfect post for the carnival. I recently had a girls night out with my daughter and enjoyed it so much. My girl is now 13 and I have to enjoy these moments while she is still willing to hang out with me!

Kim @ TheBitterBall

Anonymous said...

Jen-
I am not sure what to say!! My HEART is so Blown Away. I feel for you, I am excited for Priya. The last 10 years has been a long GREAT road and Princess Priya started that Greatness. Just think of the Greatness she has yet to achieve!!!! and the little Prince's.
I Love You All--Andrea