Monday, August 23, 2010

And then there were none...

...at home during the school year, that is. Today the last little Indian spread his wings and flew off to the big, bad world of elementary school. He was ready. I was ready. At least I thought I was ready. The other little Indians were definitely ready to start school again. And they had so much fun preparing their baby brother for the big day.


Priya and Deven partner-read "The Night Before Kindergarten" to Trevor. Note the tears in Trevor's eyes. Yes, we still discipline when necessary...even if it IS the night before Kindergarten.





Tears are all dried up and Trevor poses happily with his sibs.




For some reason this melted my heart. Deven had his clothes, shoes, socks, and undies all set to go for this morning. He was really excited.




My routine...laying out the lunch boxes and preparing as much as possible the night before. Can someone tell me why having to make lunches drives me so crazy? I'd rather iron. Or fold laundry. Or clean toilets.






Last week Deven's teacher sent home a bag to be opened on the morning of school. It was the most precious "2nd Grade Survival Kit." He got a huge kick out of this.





Priya repeatedly mumbled, "I didn't get one of those in 2nd grade."




3rd grader.





2nd grader.
Note the cocked-head pose
and hand-on-the-hip.
I didn't even have to request that.




And the Kindergartner.
Where has the time gone????





In front of the school.


After school the reports were mostly positive. Priya said 3rd grade was awesome. Trevor said Kindergarten rocked. Deven initially reported that he loved 2nd grade....but at bedtime he expressed his desire to be home-schooled because he missed me.

EEK!

I believe we'll all need a period of adjustment. Deven included. And myself. Like I mentioned earlier, I thought I would be fine sending my baby to Kinder, but truth be told...all day long I was fighting back tears. I am deeply grateful for my 2 friends who kept me busy today so that I would be distracted enough to not dwell on the fact that I've entered into "Empty Nest Syndrome: Phase 1."

My sadness has subsided a bit now, and I'm looking forward to all the excitement this school year holds for the kids---and for their mommy and the new-found freedom she's not experienced in 9 years.

Unless I end up home-schooling Deven.

8 comments:

Quirky Mess said...

Yay!! I'm so glad it went well! Love how Deven laid out his clothes! So precious. Had a crazy / wonderful day myself. Will catch up soon! :-)

Heather said...

Yep, tears in my eyes here in Ohio. I can tell you are fighting them in that last photo...

GREAT pictures! I love that the older two are looking out for their baby brother :)

Moon Mommy said...

I think we were all helping each other - three women trying very hard to preoccupy their thoughts, busying themselves and thankful for the company of friends to keep their spirits up. I should be thanking you.

HipMomma said...

Oh, good. If you start homeschooling Deven I'll send V over cause she'll be using that one soon, too. Love the pic of Deven's undies laid out.

THE Stephanie said...

That's too cute how he laid out his clothes! My son did the same thing, except he put his undies inside his jeans, as if he was wearing them! It was too cute!

Yvette said...

Oh Jenny! So sweet and sad at the same time. I hope all your kids have a great year and you have some "me" time. I know how you feel about the lunches. Yuk! Megan buys on Mon & Fri - somehow that makes all the difference to me.

HiHoOhio said...

Call me, no excuses now....nothing but time!

sojourner said...

deven's layout was a hoot! i'm still smiling. the 3 little indians are getting so BIG!