Saturday, January 2, 2010

Simplicity

This holiday season has seen us enjoying many relaxing jammie days that has afforded us all the down time we so desperately needed after the busy fall season. I've found myself to be quite contemplative and reflective during those days...thinking about the year we left behind...the year ahead...and how I can be more intentional in making positive changes in my life during 2010.

Yesterday I was reading one of my favorite blogs authored by this wonderfully creative gal. She shared on her blog her "word of the year." I had never heard of this before....but I was intrigued by Carissa's word and the reasons behind her choosing it. Then I read on another favorite blog by this awesome chick about HER "word of the year." Turns out both of these ladies were inspired by Ali Edwards...to choose a word of the year...a word that would ultimately set the tone for 2010...a word that would inspire each of them to be intentional in growing spiritually, emotionally, and purposefully this year.

I fell in love with the idea.

So, I set out on my own journey to find my personal "word of the year." When I settled upon the word (and it didn't take long), I felt as if a wave of peace had washed over me. It was awesome.

My word, you ask?

SIMPLICITY.

When I shared this word with my hubby...well...he laughed. He didn't do it to spite me, mind you, but he knows my life and how I've operated the last few years...and he thinks it's nearly impossible for me to simplify any aspect of my life given our family circumstances, his work schedule, and my inability to say the word no.

Which is exactly why SIMPLICITY is my word for 2010. Because all of that is about to change.

I know Animesh is only thinking of SIMPLICITY in terms of my daily schedule. Oddly enough, that's not at all what I had in mind when I chose the word. I don't have my head THAT far up in the clouds to think that my daily life will all of a sudden become simple just because of my chosen word of the year. Who am I kidding with 3 little Indians who are becoming increasingly active in extracurricular activities, a husband who is extremely busy saving limbs (most of the time), and a home that is located in the semi-boonies. It takes awhile to get ANYwhere from here.

I am thinking about simplifying my life in more important areas. Where my relationships are concerned. Where my thoughts are concerned. How my time is spent. Where I place my priorities. On Whom I depend on to guide me through this life-journey.

So. Here begins my journey. So that I'm held accountable...I'm sharing this with the world. OK. Not really the world. But with those of you who are kind enough to read this blog once in awhile.

And for those who have left comments in the past telling me that the blog should always focus on the 3 little Indians...well...this blog is still about them. Indirectly. Even if I take the time to write about my own thoughts and feelings.

Because I am the woman I am today because of those 3 little Indians. Got it?

My first step in SIMPLIFYING my life came to be easily and clearly. It was to "unplug" a bit. Don't get me wrong. I adore the iPhone and all its fun features. But. Let's. Face. It. Facebook was a little too accessible with that iPhone app glaring at me each time I turned my phone on. I decided that while it was somewhat entertaining to see what people were up to, it became a real time-waster for me. And I am craving real, in-person relationships. Even if that's via email. An email meant just for me. And not the rest of the world. And I'm desiring to give each of my family and friends the same consideration. So, if you visit this blog and I don't have your email address...leave it for me. I'm so happy to have it so that I can contact you. And you only.

Step 1: cancel Facebook account.

As far as relationships....I've realized just in the last few days that there are those out there who think nothing about taking you for granted. It's hurtful. Downright painful. But it's a reality. I think I understand why some friends of mine keep others at an arms-length. Because so-called friends or people who have claimed to care about me have not even thought twice about taking me for granted. While I wish these people no harm whatsoever...I do not feel the need to keep them around as a negative influence in my life. Let's just say I'm "simplifying" my life, shall we?

Step 2: recognize those who are a negative influence
in my life and limit the time spent with those individuals.

My next goal is to simplify our household. Have you ever looked around your home and wondered where in the world you accumulated so much STUFF? I have, and a lot of it has got to go!

Step 3: de-clutter our physical environment
so that it is more of a sanctuary for all of us.

This next step will likely be a year-long (if not a LIFE-long) process, but I'm up for the challenge.

And, speaking of challenges...how about this one? What will be YOUR word of the year? Visit this awesome download for some inspiration.

TitlePage



Welcome 2010...BRING IT ON!

Next up: simplifying my thoughts. Is that even possible?????

10 comments:

Heather said...

I LOVE this idea! I have seen Ali's version of this before, but you make it sound so, well, do-able.

I, too, have canceled my FB account. Huge time-waster. Good for you!

And if you don't have it, here's my email: heatherinlebanon@gmail.com .

Good luck on living your word this year! I'm off to visit your link to discover MY word!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

can i say this?
well... i will.

i am convinced... no i know... there are people on earth that uniquely touch us... we feel we relate to... we get... we feel a special connection to...
i feel that with you.
i bet you hear that a lot. you have a way with sharing... touching people... relating.

THANK YOU for being YOU and shining so we can all share in it too.

btw... i JUST quit twitter... just an hour ago... PLEASE... i am a complete twitter twit... didn't get it.
and that is just the first of things that i will be letting go. it felt good.

i think your word is perfect! i see some great things coming with THAT word of the year!

and... when you figure out HOW to simplify your thougths... tell me how... i am a brain full of boggle! :)

to STRETCHing & SIMPLICITY! cheers!

Shalet said...

Simplicity is wonderful. Last year my word was "simplify" -- so very similar. This year my word is imagine, as in imagine the things to come.

Happy 2010!

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I'm so proud of you and you inspire me - I'll be thinking of my own word of the year.

-anne

Quirky Mess said...

Wow!! What a great post. A great way to start the year. I think I've told you, one of my resolutions is to get back to my blog. Seems like most of the people I connected with in blog world did the same. We let FaceBook (and other stuff) take over last year, and are now ready to get back to it.

I've got my post just about ready to publish.

Oh... and I sure hope SHR isn't being simplified out of your life! :-)

Unknown said...

Jennifer,

I am not sure if you read my note in your inbox before you canceled facebook, but here is my email. marciedavis74@gmail.com

Moon Mommy said...

A truly wonderful post, sweet friend. I'll share my balance with your simplicity. It's going to be a good year! luv u.

HiHoOhio said...

Great post, great word.....SIMPLE!

Yvette said...

A lovely post and why I keep checking your blog even when you have gone on blog vacation. You do have a gift for expressing yourself! Wish I had it. Good luck! I hope you have a great year! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! I've been preaching that word to you for AWHILE!! I'm so glad to hear you say all that...music to my ears..put yourself first!!! You'll be SO happy, I promise!!!...Great post!!!