Friday, May 29, 2009

TGIF


You may remember that we left our Christmas tree up (and fully decorated) in our living room until way after the holiday had passed. In fact, while I don't think I blogged about it, the tree stayed up until last month when we had our hard wood floors installed.

Ready for another admission? Our Christmas lights are still up on our back patio. Ya know, the icicle-looking ones that dangle off the roof. I asked Animesh to hang them for a Christmas gathering, and there they have remained. He said they were a challenge to get them up there, so I told him to leave them there. They're actually quite festive, and I've grown accustomed to these twinkling lights when evening rolls around. They haven't kept the deer from eating my plants (darn you, deer!), but they make me so happy. Every night is like a party waiting to happen on our back patio.

These twinkling lights make me even happier when I think about them in reference to the above quote by the amazing Brene Brown. They really are a metaphor for joy...that a joyful life is not a floodlight of joy...for that would be too overwhelming. At least for me. Joy is like twinkling lights..."strung together by trust, gratitude, and inspiration." Very, very cool.

Today is the last day of school. The kids get out early, and we're going to celebrate with ice cream. Summer is here. Bring on the sunshine, sunscreen, and sleeping in. Bring on the laziness, the laughter, and the lolly-gagging. And, bring on the joy. I don't want to miss a moment of it this summer.


5 comments:

HiHoOhio said...

I want to come and lolly-gag with you and your twinkling lights!

Unknown said...

love this! happy last day! yesterday was our last day and i spent the day at the SA zoo today. yay for lolly-gagging.

patty said...

awww, what a great post. hope you had a happy, 1/2-day friday! and enjoyed the twinkly lights, too. secret: i had one tree up and decorated until JULY last year!!

Heather said...

I'm so with you on the twinkling lights. I want some on my back patio badly!

Hope this first week of summer vacation is a great one!

(We still have six more days of school, darnnit.)

sojourner said...

after reading the post after this one somehow i don't see much laziness and lolly-gagging in your future for the summer; however, i have no doubt there will be much laughter and joy! enjoy your summer :0)