Monday, January 26, 2009

Procrastination

Two of my favorite things. Wine. And procrastination. All rolled up into one.

The nice lady at HEB told me I wouldn't believe how many bottles of this "light but flavorful, fruity wine" she had sold just by its catchy title.

I fell for it, too. Yep, the word sucker is stamped on my forehead. In permanent Sharpie ink.

I haven't always been a procrastinator. And, when it comes to some things...I still am not. I will plan one of the little Indian's birthday parties well in advance. My Christmas cards are mailed at least a 2 weeks before the actual holiday. Preschool tuition is always paid on time.

But, sometimes there are some things...some tasks...that I just cannot throw myself into. No matter what time of day or night.

Case and point? Our Christmas tree is still up. And decorated.


Sometimes Animesh will walk by and turn the tree lights on for prosperity's sake. And, oh, how I love to have my procrastination lit up for me...a glaring reminder of another household task awaiting my attention.

Then there are the daily reminders -- by the KIDS no less. "Mom, you HAVE to take the ornaments off the tree! Christmas is OVER!"

Really? I hadn't noticed....

But, now they just want the ornaments off. They have informed me that the tree must stay standing...so that it can be adorned with paper hearts for Valentine's Day.

You can bet we'll be photographing that kid-craft activity.

If I ever get those darn ornaments all wrapped up and put away.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our ornaments are not put away yet either. They are in four baskets on the dining table organized by breakable and not breakable. Let's just say that we are not procrastinating but rather prepared for next Christmas.

MamaMia said...

I tend to procrastinate on big projects that take several days...like cleaning my closet that I can't even walk into. I know it's bad when Carroll says something. He's mentioned the closet a couple of times now over the last three months. Ug! Maybe I should try some of that wine.

sojourner said...

Loved the background music! My Beloved is the procrastinator in the house. My kids used to beg me to keep my Christmas tree up past Christmas day - so I leave it up until new years day just for them. Sons 2 & 3 still have theirs up in their apartment (last I heard) and it was a live tree. Now it's dead and probably bare. Yep, they got that procrastination gene from their father.

Ashley said...

I need some of that wine! I think a Valentine's Day tree would be perfect. Haha!

Quirky Mess said...

You know I'm right there with you!! I only took our tree down Saturday morning because of the Pinkalicious party! The red and green would have clashed terribly with all the pink we had going on!!

Our Nativity is still set up on top of the computer hutch. Can't find the box it goes in. It's kinda nice having the Holy Family hangin' with me while I type away.

HiHoOhio said...

Jan, I saw a tree in a window minutes after we talked, it was a REAL tree, what was left of it! You are not alone.
Me on the other hand, took mine down the day we returned from Texas, no sign of Christmas in this house.....not till next Thanksgiving. I am scrouge you know so I gotta get it out of here!

Shalet said...

The only reason our tree got put away was because it literally fell over. Our Christmas lights are still up and likely will be for months ... we need them up for Christmas in July right?!!

Heather said...

Oh, this is one way you and I differ. I can't stand to start the New Year off with my house in disarray, no matter what. So that stuff is down and put back in the basement.

All except for the sign above my entryway that I forgot about and just noticed yesterday, and will require a ladder to get down.

That can wait 'til later.

Okay, maybe I do procrastinate a tiny bit...

~PakKaramu~ said...

Pak Karamu visiting you blog

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

This is Tim. You got mad at me that I never leave comments when I read your blog. I like the procrastination blog. Everyone knows us on our street for the family that never takes our Christmas light down until like Easter. But fortunatly we got them all down this year on New Years!! Yeah!! Love your blog.
Talk to you soon,
Tim

Dancing Queen said...

our tree just got taken down 2 weeks ago, but the needles all over the floor were really starting to find their way all over the house! but i did have my valentine's day table scape all set up, & the flag hung on its pole before the christmas tree was down, that way i could have something to look forward to & the house not be quite so drab;)

i actually love that you still have it up! trust me, i wish they still had Holly on XM all year!!

mama's smitten said...

Perfect! Wine ! Let's Celebrate ! I have a luvly award waiting for you at my blog. Why ? I think your pretty Great! Inspiring and you seem very appreciative of all the goings on in you life!

Dancing Queen said...

with a doctor in the house, i'd love to hear your take on my post from yesterday...come chime in!! heard ya'll are getting a late start today...i won't tell my kids, they'd be sooooo jealous!!

i needed this song for my post:) it's awesome!

Haley said...

that wine is so cute. I love wine... especially when it has a fun name. this would be a great late gift for someone. ha ha-- too funny about the tree :) next it can be an easter tree... by the time you know it, it will be christmas again! aahhh