Thursday, April 30, 2009

How NOT to Get the Swine Flu



I can post this cute picture now (thanks, Amy!), but yesterday I wouldn't have thought it so amusing.

After telling numerous people that I believed the media was to blame for the swine-flu-panic that has swept the world, I found myself in a panic when Priya began exhibiting the symptoms after school yesterday. A visit to the ER (where she promptly donned a mask per hospital protocol) and a couple nasal swabs later it was determined that she was negative for ANY kind of flu virus, thank goodness.




She's still fever-ing and is currently sawing logs after staying home from school today. But taking Priya to the ER ("better safe than sorry" is my motto...) has brought us tremendous relief. There are no reported cases of the swine flu in our community, and we certainly didn't want to be the first.

As the roles of "mom" and "nurse" intertwine today I will treat Priya with the same prescription I do when any of my kids' don't feel well--fluids, Motrin, loads of TLC, and prayers. Ironically, her sickness has provided us with some much needed down time...prompting both of us to cancel our very busy Thursday---and just be.

Do ya think maybe God was trying to tell me Priya isn't the only one in need of some rest?

7 comments:

THE Stephanie said...

I got that pic in my email yesterday it cracked.me.up!!

Hope Priya is all better very soon!!

Shalet said...

Well I'm Priya does not have the flu! Enjoy your day off!! And that picture? Awesome!

Heather said...

I've been thinking about y'all in Texas lately, with all of this hype.

So glad your panic was short-lived.

Both of you get some rest. Sending some prayers your way :)

Anonymous said...

Thankfully your "baby" girl is okay. Hope she is feeling better....get some rest :o) hugs....

Yvette said...

Get well wishes from us to Priya! Sooo glad to hear you guys are fine and I just LOVE that pig picture. Aren't kids great!

sojourner said...

the first picture made me gasp - the mention of taking Priya to the ER made me gasp - the news that she was ok made me sigh - the thought of taking a rest made me sigh - thank you for the breathing in and out of life :0)

HiHoOhio said...

Poor little angel, let me know what is next, wish I could help.