Friday, April 3, 2009

Growth

Spring has sprung here in the Texas hill country, and I am lovin' it. Cool mornings and warm, breezy afternoons coupled with wildflowers popping up everywhere...I just love this time of year. Our "spring" season is a fleeting one...it won't be long until we're drenched with sweat in the 90 degree temps, so I am relishing this while it lasts.

During our cold, rainy Spring Break a few weeks back the kids and I planted flower seeds in their hand-painted pots. Excitement filled our house when they actually started sprouting. Yes, I had my doubts. I have a self-proclaimed "black thumb" when it comes to plants, so it's taken great effort to remember to water them regularly and to move them daily from their spot in the sunshine back to the patio table to keep the critters from partaking in a midnight snack. At my kids' plants expense.





I am even more thrilled that I've managed to not kill this beautiful geranium plant. In fact, it looks better than it did the day I brought it home. In spite of my frequent neglect.


Personally, I've experienced my own growth lately. In October I was called by God to lead a women's Walk to Emmaus. Last weekend that Walk occurred, and after having this past week to sit back and (somewhat) process it all, I've come to the astonishing realization that the entire experience...from October until Sunday, March 29th...has changed my life.

Honestly, I didn't think this would happen. I mean, I've served on many Emmaus teams before. They were all so wonderful in their own way. They were all especially meaningful for one reason or the other. I've always loved serving on teams and have had meaningful moments during the weekends.

But never has a Walk changed my life. Never, EVER did I expect to be so transformed by God while serving as the Lay Director. Not that I don't think he's capable of such transformations...I just didn't understand how much more work needed to be done in me and through me.

Now I get it.

I cannot put into words what the entire experience--and the weekend, in particular--has meant to me. Friends have asked, and I have replied countless times that it was "indescribably amazing." Never have I laughed so hard, cried so emotionally, or prayed so deeply on an Emmaus Walk. Never.

I let go of so many issues, thoughts, and feelings that had me bound in invisible chains. I completely surrendered this Walk to God, and I literally felt carried by the prayers of so many. I never felt worried about how things would go. I never felt (too) stressed out. I never felt anxious. It was...in my opinion...exactly the way the Walk was intended to be.

Spiritual growth is a funny thing...it often happens whether we want it to or not. It is sometimes extremely painful. It is often accompanied with feelings of uneasiness. Growth often tests us. It's not always easy. But we can emerge from that growth phase more beautiful, more vibrant, more glorious than ever before.

Remember--the gorgeous geraniums above? Well, they had to go through a whole lot of dirt before they emerged into beautiful flowers!

Thankfully, this growth experience was the most amazing, pleasant spurt I've undergone. While I was called to serve this past weekend, I ended up being the one who was served. By the most amazing team. By the most amazing group of pilgrims (those attending for the first time). By all of those who prayed and supported Walk 100 behind the scenes.

Like the song says...it's up to us to be the change. And there are so many things to be thankful for.

I am so thankful to God and to all of you who were a part of Walk 100. And who will continue to remain in my heart and prayers always.

11 comments:

Heather said...

That is truly awesome to hear, Jennifer. I'm sure it was amazing.

You write so well; I love to hear your stories.

Enjoy your (fleeting) spring, and have a blessed Easter.

sojourner said...

Beware - God's not finished with you yet - with much growth comes much pruning.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a beautiful thing when growth comes and God does his magic? I'm truly happy for you!!

Shalet said...

I'm happy you had such a wonderful experience! I am also jealous of your spring ... we are still in the throws of winter here - snow flurries and brown all around. When our spring hits (if it ever does) it'll probably be summer there. I guess I'll just have to enjoy your flowers virtually until some sprout here. :o)

Quirky Mess said...

It was an amazing (or as I like to say - Emmausing) weekend! You truly have embodied the scripture of Matt 5:16, and have let your light SHINE through this process.

I'm so proud of you, and know that God is saying, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Laura said...

It was wonderful. I am so glad to have been a table leader--God is so good! We bonded so much at our table. I'm excited, too--two of the pilgrims want to be on a team!

Love you. It was amazing to serve with you and see the Holy Spirit throughout.

Anonymous said...

"Oh my Savior, I give you glory, my Redeemer, my God and King. There is no one oh so holy, like the one who sets me free.

I can't think of anywhere, anywhere I want to be more than with you!
And I can't think of anything, anything I would rather do than give you glory.
Come my Savior on the clouds, Holy Spirit, speed the hour.
I will shout out loud the message,
'Freedom is coming and the kingdom is now.'

Let your rain come down, all around,
Let the thunder sound shake the ground.
Let the waterfall pound, breaking down
All the lies you found under me.
Let the sightless see, let 'em see
Set the bound ones free, set 'em free.
Water fall on me, waterfall,
I have sought your heart, hear me call...

(Water, Fall on Me, by Jonathan Reuel)

It was a beautiful weekend...

Anonymous said...

Jen,
How I am blessed to know you were so richly rewarded by your obedience to serve! God continues to be so good in each of our lives-and the fact that our lives have been joined forever by Jesus-WOW! I send my love and may the glory be to Jesus!Always in Him,Priscilla

patty said...

what a beautifully written post. seems an amazing journey, and i love your comparison to the geranium (the beautiful geranium)!

Dancing Queen said...

i had no doubt that this journey for you & all around you would come up nothing short of being absolutely WONDERFUL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

HiHoOhio said...

It was the best WALK EVER! Love you and thanks for including me.