Sunday, January 11, 2009

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Meet my good friend, Yvette. Last month I had the honor of attending her college graduation.

Graduating from college is a major accomplishment in and of itself, but what I find so inspiring about Yvette is that she graduated from UTSA at the age of 50. And as a wife and mother of three grown boys.

Attending school is something Yvette always wanted to do, and so, when she felt God telling her that the time was right, she did. And, she finished...with exceptional grades, mind you.

While sitting through that graduation it struck me that while Yvette is a highly intelligent person in her own right, she could not have achieved this accomplishment on her own. She has her faith in God, of course, but there are many people in her inner circle on whom she relies on for support and encouragement. Her husband is probably her biggest fan...along with her three sons. I'm sure there were classmates who inspired her and from whom she learned. And, of course, the professors from whom she learned so much undoubtedly made their impact on her educational experience.

It got me to thinking about the many, many family and friends that I rely on to help me achieve my goals. I have the support of my friends as I maneuver my way through the most amazing journey called motherhood. I could not have finished my nursing degree without Animesh's unwaivering support and the best group of study partners (and friends) ever. I could not have trained so diligently for my triathlons and the 1/2 marathon if I had not had Animesh's support...financially (triathlon gear can get pricey) and emotionally. I have a church family and bible study group to grow in faith with me. And, even more so, I have in my life an Emmaus community that has shown me a Christian love so deep my faith has deepened on so many meaningful levels.

I am humbled and honored to have been called to lead a women's Walk to Emmaus in March. For me, the planning began back in October. But, yesterday, the team assembled for its first meeting together. It was the most completely amazing experience...watching all of those friends come together for one purpose and supporting me so lovingly with kind words and prayers.

Like Yvette and her school work, it was necessary for me...and me alone... to accomplish a lot of tasks on my own. There have been (and will be) a lot of little things that only I can take care of. But, I realize that the success of yesterday's meeting can ONLY be attributed to a wonderful team effort. You've heard that old addage..."There's no I in team." It is so true. And, I couldn't ask for a better team than the one God has assembled for this next Walk to Emmaus.

So. This year I'm going to make a conscious effort to thank those who have inspired, encouraged, and supported me in all I try to accomplish. And, to thank those who will do so in the future. Especially the One who has blessed my life with all of these wonderful people.

I was reminded of this song (playing on the playlist) yesterday when one of our team members sang it out loud during the introductions (thanks, "Stephanie"). :-)

Because, when it comes down to it, it would be nearly impossible to get by without a little help from my friends.

5 comments:

Quirky Mess said...

I couldn't agree more. There's something amazing about the power of a group of people working (joyfully) together toward the same goal. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the best Walk ever! Really!

sojourner said...

Yep! That picture sure shows the actual joy I felt. Thank you for this very honorable mention in your post. Indeed, teamwork is important in our journey. I've included a link to your page at the end of my post for today.

Love ya my dear friend!

Heather said...

I'm so sad that I can't make it to the Emmaus walk this year.

Darn work. Darn finances. Darn kids (just kidding, love the kids).

I hope your Emmaus weekend is awesome. I'm sure you will touch many lives with your presence and prayers.

Congrats to Yvette! What a great accomplishment!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

that is awesome... a BIG congrats to Yvette!

there is NO way i could make it through without my friends... no way! we are all such a PART of one another!

they are so lucky to have you as leader... what a gift it will be for so many!

Ashley said...

Congratulations, Yvette! Such a huge accomplishment!