Monday, November 24, 2008

The Kissing Hand

Since the day I discovered this book as a parent, it has been my all-time favorite story. My heart melted when Priya's kinder teacher read it to the class at Kinder Orientation last year, and then Deven's teacher did the same this year. I often kiss the palm of my kids' hands...to remind them that although I'm not always around them physically, we are close in spirit and in our hearts.


So, imagine our delight/surprise when we discovered our very own "Chester" (the character in the book) in the garage last Saturday morning on our way to Priya's swim lesson. It was the day before the race, and I was anticipating a relaxing day at home (after swim lessons) to prepare my mind and body for this test of endurance.

Apparently, when you live in the boondocks and leave the garage door open all night long--critters come-a-calling. Factor in a tantalizing bag of bird seed, and you've got yourself one huge mess. And, a trapped raccoon.

The poor thing wouldn't come down. I tried and tried. Turns out I must have injured him when I opened the garage door the first time. He was as stubborn as the rest of our family members, and there was only so much I could do with my own two hands.

With my own hub out of town...and the kids shrieking in and out of the car with a mixture of excitement and fear...I had only one option.

It was time to call in a reinforcement.

After establishing with HipMomma what exactly I wanted to borrow her husband for (ha!)...she agreed and sent him over. The HipHub arrived with a cool gadget that eventually coaxed the injured Chester (named by Deven) off the top of the garage. Bloody paw and all.

Sadly, he didn't run for freedom. He decided to go and cower in a corner. Thanks to the HibHub for his snake-grabber-poker-thingy.


Eventually, HipHub captured Chester in a garbage can and set him free in the vacant lot next to our house. Chester ran off okay...we're thinking his injured paw will be just fine.

As for the rest of our Saturday? Well, we missed Priya's swim lesson, but we still went to Denny's for a yummy breakfast. And, then to Home Depot for a super broom that would sweep up all the bird seed. Sweeping and cleaning/bleaching blood spots on the garage floor were my pre-race activities.

Not exactly how I planned to spend that day...but I was able to run the entire 13.1 miles...AND I have a cleaner garage than I've had in a long time. So, I can't really complain.

LESSON LEARNED: Always check the garage door at night when the hubby is out of town. And, I need to get myself one of those snake-grabber-poker-thingys.

I'll be sure to add that to my Christmas list.

8 comments:

MamaMia said...

Oh my, what a cute little guy! We too love that story. Elle doesn't leave the car at school without her kissing hands.

Isn't it funny that these type of "ordeals" ALWAYS happen when the hubby is gone?

I'm so glad this story has a happy ending. And maybe I should invite one of Chester's friends over so our garage can get a good cleaning. ;)

Dancing Queen said...

Ok, I would have shrieked BIG TIME, and I even grew up in the country!!! Reminds me of the time when I was in high school( I raised show lambs) and I went down to the shed to feed them, opened the door to a family of skunks! You have never seen me run so fast in my life!! Hmmm...maybe that should be my training strategy for next year's race?!?

Glad that all ended well! As a Kinder teacher, we read that story the first day of school too and did a little activity with it! Definitely a heart wrencher!!

So, what are you doing with all your extra time since the race is over;)

Anonymous said...

And as I said, it made the HipHub's day. He wishes he were some animal wrangler/park ranger/grizzly adams type perched in a tree with binoculars. What a cute little guy! Aw.

sojourner said...

Unfortunately our dog Jesse used to kill those critters. One Christmas when we had friends over for a party I glanced out the window and noticed a dead racoon draped over a tree limb. Jesse must have injured it so badily it crawled up and died. Luckily by Beloved was able to go out unnoticed and remove the poor thing before anybody saw it. I'm glad your little friend made it out of your garage alive.

HiHoOhio said...

AAAAKKKKK!!! EEEEKKKK!!!!
HELP!!!!!!!!

Hate to mention, but Chest knows where you live and will likely be back and bring his friends, no joke there!

Shalet said...

Well good thing you had a hub for hire. It's good to have friends! I hope the little critter is okay!

Heather said...

Oh, Catherine is so right! We used to leave our garage cracked open a bit for our kitty on cold nights. Well, apparently word got out on the streets, 'cause we ended up hosting five raccoons and two extra cats, none of whom thought it was necessary to clean up after themselves. Humph. Needless to say, we don't do that anymore.

Chester sure was cute, though. And who knows what else you could do with one of those snake-grabber-poker-thingys? I love it!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

okay that "chester" sure is cute... those stinkers can be mean... i'm thankful for that hip hub coming to the rescue!