Friday, August 1, 2008

Busy Bees

I'm tired. My weekend away was amazing...as usual...but there was little sleep to be had. Foolishly, I scheduled the kids for Sea World camp the day after I returned from the retreat. Too bad it started at 8:30am Monday morning. And, too bad it takes us an hour and a half to get there. In rush hour traffic. Oh, yeah. And, TOO BAD it was the hottest week of the summer.

In spite of the exhaustion, heat, and traffic woes, we had a great time. The boys and I did our thing in a parent-child program. We had so much fun.

Feeding the dolphins...my favorite Sea World animal.




Henry the tortoise was fun to pet.



Deven answered an educational beluga whale question correctly and got to dress up like one. He got the biggest kick out of that.



The boys LOVED petting a baby alligator. I must admit he was kind of cute.



We got to meet Chester the Clydesdale horse up close and personal. He gets new shoes every 6 weeks. Just like most women I know.



I would have been up a creek without our trusty Radio Flyer. Since I have boys who tell me daily they can't walk. Because their feet run out of gas.



Other highlights included petting a baby shark and some stingrays. I don't have pics of Priya because this year she was old enough to be in the all-day camp. Without her mommy. I was so nervous to let her go off with perfect strangers all day everyday, but she had an absolute blast and cannot wait to do it again next year.

Sigh. My baby girl is growing up.

Tomorrow she and I head to Dallas for a trip to the American Girl store and to go to my nephew's baptism. Our girls' weekend will include pedicures and shopping, and she is so excited she can hardly stand it. Daddy will hold down the fort with the boys...taking in a Backyardigans show and golfing till their hearts content.

While I'm gone I've given Animesh the daunting task of taking Trevor's crib out of his room (it's literally falling apart and is, as Deven would tell you, a "safety violation"). I reminded Animesh that if I could birth 3 kids, nurse them, potty-train them, and witness every doctor's visit that includes shots...he could spend a couple rough nights helping Trevor adjust to his big-boy bed.

I'll let you know how it goes. Should make for an interesting blog post.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ive done something here to have you a few cents!

HiHoOhio said...

Jen, love the photo in the suit, what is that??? Boys look hot and tired, noticed no Mommy shots, you must have been hotter and more tired, sleeping inthe ski show????
Can't wait to hear about bed and american girl weekend!

MamaMia said...

Suzanne and I took Jack and Elle to Sea World camp a couple of years ago and oh my goodness THE HEAT!! But what fun. Looks like they have changed it up a bit...don't remember the turtle, horse or the alligator.

Sounds like you have a super fun girls weekend planned.

And yea for Daddy taking on the transition from crib to bed for Trevor. Good luck!

Dawn said...

hope your weekend went well. i like what dadddy duty includes. let us know how it goes.

DD said...

Looks like you guys had an amazing time! :)

Heather said...

When I wrote that post, Catherine told me that you had read all three of the Twilight books already. I just started the first one tonight, and have the other three just waiting to be read! I LOVE to find a great book, especially if its the first of a series!

Of course you can see the movie with us. Plan to come to Ohio in December, and we'll make a huge girls night of it. Catherine is dying for some Texas company, you know.

Glad to see you had so much fun while you were away from blogging. We misssed you!

Shanan Strange said...

Oh we used to love Sea World camp. When my kids got a little older, they did the overnight camp where you sleep in the shark tank. They came home filthy and exhausted, but always had a blast!!

It has got to be the hottest place on the planet, though. UGH!

Anonymous said...

When do you get a Summer vacation from your Summer vacation? ;-)

Anonymous said...

so that is where you have been. i was having honorary indian withdrawals :o) i am now sad i did not do sea world camp with the kiddos.....next year for sure....