Saturday, June 28, 2008

Free to be 3

I am the oldest of three kids. Growing up I never bought into the song-and-dance my mom would give when defending herself as to why she treated my brother (the youngest) differently. I'd usually roll my eyes and mutter, "He's the baby and gets away with everything." My mom would get frustrated with my accusations and tell me to "just wait till I became a parent."

Now, I am a parent. Now, I have three kids of my own. And, now, I understand. Yes, I'm admitting it. The baby of our family does get away with a lot more than his siblings did at his age. Maybe it's me softening over the years. Maybe it's me being too exhausted to pick every single battle. Maybe it's because the baby of our family is just too darn cute to resist. Maybe.

My baby turns the big 3 today. In some ways it's such a fun, easy season in my life...all the kids are potty-trained, all the kids can communicate, all the kids play so well together and don't need constant in-house supervision.

But, in other ways, after 6 1/2 years of diapers, baby food, interrupted nights of sleep, pacifiers, scheduled naps, strollers, and children being completely dependent on me...well...it's come to an end. Unless God has other plans for me, the baby days in our house have come and gone. Leaving me a little sad. Leaving me yearning for a time when the 3 little Indians needed me just a little bit more than they do now.

This is Trevor two years ago enjoying his first taste of cake at his first birthday party.


And this is my baby now. Three years old and so grown up. Too grown up, in my opinion. He seemed to skip over playing with baby toys and watching baby movies...he only wants to do whatever Priya and Deven were doing.



Of course, Trevor would not be my baby if weren't for those Indians who came before him...his older brother and best buddy, Deven...


...and his big sister who loves and mothers Trevor more than I do.
href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh68QHR4XFFFt-vTljBUSXacWwqVTDYXsRpVThqYv3nOsKsjKRJKi5OmUrsUH-c1V5JRYB-rGDWqi3JJh3bbjcicbfUpjdb133hG8UWdUsaSXJJKahaboi2LPfE5DWdqa8ogKav-7sezimB/s1600-h/Priya.jpg">

Happy Birthday, Sweet Trevor.

"I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be."

13 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the compliment on my blog:) I know exactly what you mean about that third baby...Gabe gets away with so much, for all the reasons you listed. I love the quote...that book makes me cry everytime! The first time I read it was in Barnes & Noble, reading it to Isabel. I didn't know it was sad! I'm pretty sure I was pregnant with Gabe, and I bawled. I'm such a sap. Hope you have a great day! My baby will be turning four and going off to preschool in August; so bittersweet.

Dancing Queen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TREVOR!!!
We'll be sure to raise a juice box in the air & toast you for your party!!

Have a fun day!!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday trevor! I know exactly how you feel jen..about the birth order thing. My youngest gets away with a lot more, too. Even when you swear you won't be that way, it just seems to happen!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Trevor!
We only have two, but I can see the same thing happening over here with our "baby."

She is so in love with the Love You Forever book right now, too. So sweet. Enjoy your day.

MamaMia said...

Happy birthday to Trevor!

Come visit my blog...I have a little something for you. ;)

Dawn said...

you just had to add the song, didnt you. now i am crying. is this a good reason to have three kids, so I have a great reason to baby the third one. your 3 little indians are lucky to have you

Shanan Strange said...

You are so right. I was the oldest and SWORE that I would not give the youngest any slack, at all. I don't know why, but I do sometimes. I think that the third grows up so fast because he is constantly keeping up with the older ones. My daughter loved watching Barney until she was 6 and my youngest.. forget it. He went straight to Hannah Montana and Drake and Josh. Only your first child stays a baby as long as they should. It's a little sad.

Happy Birthday Trevor! Eat lots of cake!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, big boy! So glad we could celebrate another great year with you.

DD said...

aww. love that book. Makes me cry and cry. CUTE KIDDOS!

Anonymous said...

THREE??? I cannot believe it! He has grown up fast.....and is just a little ham. I can totally see how he can steal your heart and get some slack. My Lindsey gets some slack too though and she seems to have skipped some of the baby stages I remember Ryan having.....sigh.....Happy Bday Trevor.

Sassy said...

What a GORGEOUS little dude. I found you on Melody's blog. Your family is adorable and your blog is so stylish. I am a fellow SA resident, too.

Nice to meet you,
Charisse

Laura said...

Oh my goodness--I remember when you were pregnant with him. Now he's three!?! Where did the time go?

Happy birthday, dear Trevor! Many blessings from God!

Staci said...

aww, i almost cried when i read the last four lines of the blog....that is my FAV book, however i dont read it as much because i simply cannot read it too my babies with out crying....I know how you feel...my baby is two and will be three in half a year....where did the time go....whaaaaaaaa!!!! They are precious!!!