Monday, May 5, 2008

Time Stand Still

Five years ago today I arrived at Methodist Hospital at 5am so that I could be induced into labor. For many people in my neck of the woods, this day is remembered as Cinco de Mayo. For me, it is the day our beautiful 9 pound baby boy entered the world.

He was nicknamed "Baby" Deven by my friend, Lisa, and her family. The name stuck, and Deven's big sister, Mommy, and some of our closest friends still call him that. He doesn't mind...not yet anyway. He's still a mama's boy and one of the only boys the girls in his class will play with. Guess he's used to it having a big sister.

My absolute favorite picture of him the day he was born. I still hold him this way.



And, this is Baby Deven at his 5th birthday party this weekend. All grown up and such a hoot. We call him the jokester. He's either gonna be a wickedly intelligent scientist or an entertainer in Vegas. It's a toss-up--but it will be so much fun to see where his life takes him.



That old Rush song "Time Stand Still" popped in my head as I began to write this.

"Freeze this moment a little bit longer...make each sensation a little bit stronger..."

It is bittersweet watching the 3 little Indians become NOT so little so quickly...yet I relish the milestones they have reached and the accomplishments we have all celebrated. I look back on the last 5 years since Deven's birth and have seen many changes...in our children...in our family...in myself.

The days and months and years are whizzing by. And, I am reminded once again that life is so short. We must cherish each waking moment with those we hold dear. We must not take one moment with our loved ones for granted. That's what life is all about. Loving and being loved.

So, Baby Deven. Happy 5th birthday, sweet pea. We love you to the moon and back...to infinite and beyond...forever and ever.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh..I love the baby picture!! He is still as sweet as ever!! I can't wait to hear about the big bash!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, CutiePie!! Another great celebration.

Heather said...

Love the pics...5 is such a sweet age. My baby will be 4 this year, and my oldest "baby" will be 10 next month. Although I miss the baby days, there are so many different things to love about this stage in our lives, too. You are so right about cherishing each and every moment.

Too funny that you call him "sweet pea"; I call my kids that, too, especially my middle one. Too much Popeye as a kid?

sojourner said...

I remember the many prayers for all three of your little indians!

Love.....

Shalet said...

Time does fly doesn't it?!!

Happy Birthday little man!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

WHAT a cutie! Happy Birthday to your precious sweet pea!

That is such a great treasure... the pic of the two of you. Those moments a mom will forever hold dear!

Dancing Queen said...

What a fun birthday...Cinco de Mayo!! Deven, I hope you have a FANTASTIC FIFTH year!!

Love, love that picture of you two! Priceless!

MamaMia said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet. I know what you mean about being so proud of the milestones they reach, but being sad that they are there already. Can't we just have a little more time at each age?

Happy Birthday Deven!

Laura said...

Happy birthday, Deven!!! I remember when you were in your mama's tummy!

Enjoy the time, Jen--they do grow up quickly, just as our Father intended. :)

Yvette said...

Beautiful!
Love Yvette