Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Progress Report

In case you were wondering (but most have probably forgotten to ask...), the ROOKIE triathlon came and went this past weekend...without me in attendance. A couple weeks ago my ultra-hip-cool-chick-friend/swim coach and I came to the mutual agreement that I was not ready for the swimming portion of ANY triathlon...even one named "The Rookie." So, I bowed out gracefully. All the while breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Yesterday the plan was to swim in open water at Boerne Lake...home to some infamous alligator. Thank you, God, for the lightning and thunder that prevented us from plunging into the choppy, murky waters. Yesterday morning I woke up with intense fear and some serious levels of anxiety coursing through my entire body. I was so relieved not to have to do the lake swim that I headed to the gym and ran 3 miles straight (and quite FAST!) before swimming in the gym pool (that is NOT infested with any alligators, thank you very much!).

Today Lisa and I biked 14 miles and then ran about a mile and a half. Not too bad given the warm temps and high humidity. Tomorrow is a day of rest...swimming on Friday and a bike/run on Saturday.

I'm completely excited and teeny bit nervous as the big day approaches. I am feeling stronger and sleeping more soundly. I am more conscious of and grateful for my body's capabilities. Once I conquer the lake swim and get over the fear of being an alligator's breakfast I believe there is no stopping me on June 8th. Or any day of the year for that matter.

Have you seen the movie "Curious George?" If not, well, it's one of the most feel-good movies you'll ever watch. I love the theme song's lyrics:

Who's to say I can't do everything?
Well, I can try.
And as I roll along I begin to find
Things aren't always just what they seem
I wanna turn the whole thing upside down
I'll find the things they say just can't be found...


Here's to turning the whole thing upside down. I cannot imagine living life any other way.

11 comments:

Shalet said...

You can do it! Go girl!!!

MamaMia said...

Don't you worry...you are going to be so ready for this tri--it will be a blast! And just wait for the feeling when you've completed the race...nothing else like it. I promise you will be addicted!!

Heather said...

Once again, I am in awe of your determination! Just hearing about the alligator would have been enough to scare me away. I love working out at the gym, in a controlled environment...I don't know how I would do, being out in the "field". What a great feeling of empowerment you will have when you finish that race. I can't wait to hear about it. Make sure you get before and after pics :)

Dancing Queen said...

Jen,
You are just AMAZING!!! I can't get over how you are driving yourself to compete in such a monumental event...what a role model you are for your kids, especially Priya! 14 miles, holy cow, and it was SOOO miserably humid yesterday afternoon.

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! This is one chick who is extremely proud to call you a friend!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

you go girl! no doubt... you will fly!

i love the Curious George lyrics... so good!
imagine your victory! woo hoo

Anonymous said...

You're sleeping more soundly cuz, man, 14 miles?! I might sleep for two days straight.

You've already won my courageous friend.

sojourner said...

I didn't have a chance to say this earlier, but I am proud of your energy and drive! Upside down is good because it keeps you creative. Let's keep up the flesh and blood connection - I would be lost without it :0)

Anonymous said...

I think this whole tri thing has brought you out of the deep dark pit you were in not to long ago...I'm so glad to have you back!!! You're aready a winner in my book!

Kellan said...

I didn't know there was any sort of lake in Boerne and I don't blame you for being frightened - an alligator?????

So nice to meet you!!! I have a friend in Corpus, one in Spring Branch - several in Houston and up in that area - but none as close as you and none in SA - weird. Very nice to meet you and I look forward to visiting with you and your beautiful kids more so we can definitely get to know each other better. Thanks for coming by - see you soon - Kellan

Anonymous said...

you crack me up! i didn't think the alligator was real!!that's crazy!

Laura said...

You are so amazing! I can't imagine doing the things that you're doing! Yes, you are quite a role model, in many, many ways! You rock, sista!

Love you!
Laura