Friday, April 4, 2008

Perspective

It seems as if every song I hear on the radio lately has a special message just for me. George Strait sings about "seeing God today" and awakens my soul to the fact that, yes, God's fingerprints are everywhere...and there is so much joy to be found in this world. Brooks and Dunn remind me that there are so many tragedies and heartbreaks all over the world but that the hardships are hopefully a passing phase--and God really is in control. Both songs are on the play list if you'd like to check them out.

But, it's not a song that has touched me so deeply recently. Perhaps the most powerful message I've come across in the last month or so (but wasn't in a place to share it till now) is from a professor named Randy Pausch. Here's a question for ya...if you had only 6 months to live...could you change the world? Randy is. His unbelievable "Last Lecture" has impacted millions. You can view it here...and then watch your ABC station this Wednesday, April 9th at 10pm/9c to see his interview with Diane Sawyer.

None of us knows how long we have on this earth. My life could end today, tomorrow, next month, or 50 years from now. God tells us our time on earth is but a breath in the grand scheme of things. I guess the question I want to start asking myself at the end of the day is, "Did I fully live my life today as if it were my last? Was I a blessing to every single person I came in contact with?"

And, more than anything...I want to live my life more as a Tigger than an Eeyore.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Jen, I loved your post today! I have seen that video before...what a powerful message. Working in the ICU, I come home with so many things to be thankful for, especially my health and that of my family. I love how you want to be a "Tigger"...we were just teasing a coworker about being Eeyore the other day, always looking at the gloomy side of things. I wanna be Tigger, too!

Heather

sojourner said...

Try a little table dancing :0) It will put you in a "Tigger" frame of mind for sure!

Dancing Queen said...

I actually saw his lecture that day on Oprah in the fall, then preceded to e-mail it to several of my family members when I found the "you tube" tape of the actual lecture he gave to his class...It is quite lengthy, but well worth the watch!! I will be sure to set my DVR to watch him...what a gift he has given his children & anyone watching it! His lessons are incredible!
Thank you for reminding me of him again!

MamaMia said...

The "Last Lecture" is very powerful, isn't it? Thanks for the heads-up on the Diane Sawyer interview.

I can't wait to add the George Strait song to my playlist.

Anonymous said...

Yes I too would like to be a Tigger. I always dig deep after I read your posts. Truly inspiring. Thank you and HUGS!!!

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

i saw that episode... through watering eyes... but i saw it! he is such an ispiration... what a man! thank you So much for the tip on the upcoming show... just marked it in my calendar.

so glad i saw this post... you just helped me "refocus" my thinking today! wipe away my ugly bitterness.

really thank you... lol.