Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bikes, Bonding, & Benatar

I guess it's no secret that I've recently experienced a very low LOW recently. By the grace of God and some AMAZING friends...my life has changed and seems to be on the upswing now. The fingerprints of God surround me on a daily basis, and I'm trying so hard in this busy life to stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

A couple friends have asked what the turning point was. I told them nothing in particular...a few small things happened to put life into perspective for me. There was the opportunity to give our favorite Denny's waitress a Walmart gift card since she lost EVERYTHING (except her kids) in a recent house fire. Giving can feel really good. And make you so incredibly thankful for what you have.

There was the amazingly healing dinner I shared with a girlfriend last Thursday evening. Can I just say there is absolutely NOTHING like great girlfriends?!

And then there was just one of those days that flows so smoothly...you can't help but go to bed with a smile on your face. Last Wednesday I finally got on my brand new bike...and rode an 12 leisurely miles with two wonderful friends. Can I just tell you that this cycling stuff is ADDICTING? I was a little freaked out flying down Blanco Road with the cars whizzing by me at 70+ mph. But, once we turned onto a quiet country road...it was much needed medicine for this worn out soul.

Somewhere along the way my gears got stuck, and I completely (and ungracefully) wiped out trying to get my clips out of the pedals. Even that wreck was healing...bruises and all.

After our ride we ate lunch and I picked up the kids from school, fed them, and had them in bed by 6:30. I even had an hour to relax before my guitar lesson.

When Richard pulled out Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," I groaned and rolled my eyes. After a few good laughs about how overplayed this song was back in the day, Richard convinced me to give it a try. And, with my cool new electric guitar and zebra strap...I felt slightly like the rock star I've always wanted to be.



And, with Trevor's new nickname for me, "Rock Star Mama," maybe I already am--at least in the eyes of the 3 Little Indians.

I have come to realize that it is up to ME to make myself happy and content in this life that often throws us curve balls. Attitude really is everything. I cannot depend on any person here on earth to fulfill me completely. So, I am trying to rely on my faith more and others less...because frankly, giving really IS better than receiving. And, I think I just may have something to offer this world...even if some days it's only a terrible rendition of a really old Benatar tune.

10 comments:

Shalet said...

First, glad to hear you're feeling better.

Second, your kids went to bed at 6:30?!!! OMG- my kids were roaming around at 11:00 last, "I'm thirsty, I need water, I don't like my room." Now this morning, of course, they have no interest in getting out of bed.

That is one cool guitar strap! My boys (Papa and son) bought themselves an electric guitar to share. I need ot find them some lessons.

Have a wonderful day Rock Star Mama!

Heather said...

I love your post today! You are so funny...there is no way I would ride a bike on a busy street; I just know I would wipe out in front of God and everybody :)

Glad you're feeling better, too. I think we all have those low times, and you're right, when you can get the perspective of how much you have to give and be thankful for, it truly helps you appreciate all your blessings.

What kind of retreat are you going on for your church? Have you ever been to anything by or with Beth Moore? I have done a couple of her bible studies, and I would love to meet her in real life. I know she's from your neck of the woods.

Take care!

MamaMia said...

Man, I want to be you right now...out riding your bike sounds like so much fun. AND, when you mentioned guitar lessons before, you didn't say ELECTRIC guitar!! Too cool!!

So glad you are figuring things out and feeling better.

You're so inspiring.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the guitar and strap! I'm still waiting for the concert. Just a few of us close friends, intimate setting, a few beers.

Glad you are feeling better. I think sometimes we have to get in a little rut to realize that it all is pretty darn good.

HiHoOhio said...

rock on sister girl, maybe you and Kipper can form a band!

Dawn said...

wow! i'm glad that your world is healing. I hope that continues. I enjoyed our dinner too! Let's talk to figure out a plan for next week. Miss you. dawn

Yvette said...

I never thought kids to bed at 6:30 was possible and you have three! Wow! My hero! I can't wait to hear you play, how fun, glad you are feeling better. You deserve to!
Love ya,
Y

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

such a GREAT post... really! so true! you sound super.

how fun is that... taking guitar lessons! now that's some living.... you rock star mama you! :)

Dancing Queen said...

OH MY GOSH!!! How ABSOLUTELY cool are you??? That is just too fun! I totally agree, there DEFINITELY needs to be a concert in the works! Who knew they made such fun guitar straps! It always helps w/any hobby to have all the neat "gear"! Love it!

sojourner said...

Now that you've gone electric, I want a serenade!

I didn't know you had another friend named Yvette!