Monday, September 24, 2007

First--Worst, Second--Best, Third--You're a Nerd

It's an interesting subject...this thing about birth order. Being the oldest of 3 I just naturally assumed that I was the more intelligent sibling (just kidding, Kristin & Jeff!). The Birth Order Book has some fascinating tidbits about why we are the way we are based purely on when we joined our families. The author states that I would be a totally different person had I not been born first. While not all of the first-born adjectives describe me, I can say that qualities such as being a people-pleaser, reliable, and a list-maker are fairly accurate. I also easily fall into the "compliant nurturer and caregiver" category of first-borns. I guess this is why I became a nurse (besides the wonderful work hours and the oh-so-fashionable scrubs).

I am especially fascinated with the "middle-child-syndrome." My sister has her own stories of being a middle child, but I'm really interested in this theory because I have been able to witness changes in Deven since the birth of his baby brother. In The Birth Order Book the author states that middle children are a bit of a mystery. I laughed out loud when I read that. There's no better way to describe him! The book goes on to say that middle children often feel they were born too late to get the privileges and special treatment the oldest inherits by right. And, they are born too soon to enjoy the lightening up of their parents when it comes to discipline. Poor kid! Deven may be developing a complex and he's only 4! Just pile that onto the already existing "mother guilt" I've got goin' on.

It's so amazing to watch Deven transform himself from "middle child" when his sister and brother are around to "baby brother" when it's just he and Priya to "big brother" when it's just he and Trevor.

When Priya started school a month ago I noticed Deven felt a bit lost...not sure what to do with himself or what to do with Trevor. He told me he missed Priya...which isn't surprising since they're only 18 months apart and have been extremely close from Day 1. I know Deven still wishes Priya were around on the days he isn't in school, but he and Trevor are finding their niche together...doing brotherly things and driving their mother crazy just trying to keep them alive (why do boys inherently jump off every piece of furniture in the house?!).

Gotta love little guys in uniform...Deven loves to dress up...a past-time he learned from his big sister. His baby brother will do ALMOST anything Deven wants him to. Which isn't so lucky for me. Did I mention the jumping off every piece of furniture in the house?!?!



Tow-mater and a very serious Lightning McQueen zoomed around the house for awhile.

"Excuse me, Mommy, while I take this very important phone call."

Man's best friend--Kirby cuddles up with his biggest fan, Deven.

3 comments:

Melody A. said...

I am a total believer in birth order mystics. I see Natalya and Vienne very very similar to me and my sister.

Dawn said...

the things mom worry about - it is a never ending list. when ever i briefly entertain the thought of a third child i worry about harrison feeling like the middle child or that he might think we were just trying for a girl. shaun thinks i'm crazy to worry. but shaun is a middle child so i know it was hard when his brother was born when he was 9 years old. the things we do to our kids...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I believe in the birth order thing too. It's amazing how different they can be, but I'm so glad since then you get to experience such differnent things. Love the dress up clothes!! Too cute!!